Options

hull construction

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, is the hull constructed with just fiberglass or is it all wood and covers with glass?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Just layers and layers of matt and resin?
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep. Another good thing about Rinker's. All fiberglass hull.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    So what about where thru hulls go through...any other support for that?
  • Options
    so, @alswagg if I have the thru hull leaking where the engine cooling pick up is and the generator water is right there too (but not leaking), likely have damage to that wood there? Yuk. How are those types of repairs typically handled? I suppose you would have to grind out the fiber glass on top of to replace that wood and then re do. Shame those don't use the starboard or what ever it is called in those small areas- they would last forever.
  • Options
    I don't recall seeing any "bump" around there which since it is leaking, not sure if that is a plus or a minus!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Dude you probably just need to remove the thru Hull fitting 
    McLean inside and outside of the hull
    clean the fitting or buy new one and use 5200 to seal it all up.

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think the plywood is providing strength.  If they bonded in a piece of plywood on top of the solid-fiberglass hull, the plywood is there only to provide a place for attaching hardware.  If the plywood is compromised with water, it's not making the hull weaker.  
  • Options
    Hey, just trying to line up my ducks so when I dive in, I know worst case and best case scenario....hitting almost a year since this boat has been in the water- plus, I don't need to create any new problems because I did not take the time to inform myself of how the boat is put together. I don't have the big bucks to hand it to someone and say fix it and send me a bill!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ras did you figure out your leak 
  • Options
    well, yes....as I was cleaning out the bilge, I put the plug in and as water started to fill, it was leaking from around the bottom of the gimbal ring and also from the thru hull for the engine raw water pick up. I had previously tested all the thru hulls with a fake lake but did not get a leak, that was about 2 years ago. So, that was a bit of a surprise. So, will be removing the transom assembly so I can get to the wood and see what I have going on there and remove the thru hull and hopefully don't have hull damage there. Yuk. Just will take some time to get to...pesky job, kids, wife and a house to keep up with all interfere!