Electronic Flare on sale today only @ WM

diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
Coast Guard approved electronic flare/distress signal on sale at West Marine today only for $69.99... 30% off. 

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/weems-plath--sos-distress-light-electronic-flare-with-distress-flag--17466988?recordNum=1&cm_mmc=EM-_-Promo-_-N/A-_-N/A

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    WOW  :o

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish our Canadian Department of Transport would get off their butts and adopt these for use. They've been "studying" it for two years now and everyone in the industry is calling for it. With the exception of the flare manufacturers of course....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    @Willhound A few years ago I reached out to the Coast Guard folks who deal with Vessel Safety Checks because the regulation for this light existed but I couldn't find a light had the certification.  At that time they said none existed.  I was thrilled when someone finally made one.

Maybe you need folks up there to push the pollution/safety issue of using flares.  That might get more traction.  

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It looks fantastic, sturdy and visible. Great price! I the C.C.G. is about to announce a decision regarding electronic flare devices. Yes, @Willhound it is about time.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Just ordered should see it next week........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    If they change the law to accept LED flares in place of pyro flares, will you stop buying pyro flares?  Not me.  I want both tools available in an emergency.  

Any boater is free to buy and use LED flares.  It's just a question of whether the law requires you to also have pyro flares.  
    The law lets you have either where flares are required.  Similarly, we will pass a boat with either one when doing a vessel exam.  

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up diggin2day1, I just ordered mine. FYI they take regular household "C" type batteries good for a couple of years. Probably a good idea to change for fresh batteries every time you put the clocks forward like I do with smoke detectors. According to the Q&A, the Coast Guard could technically check for expired batteries, but I find that unlikely. I think I'll keep my expired flares as a backup.

Andy
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I boy bought one last time they were for the same price. Still in package till spring. Gotta get some C size batteries for it too.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

I received mine this week.  Holy cats, is that thing bright.  Don't look directly at it.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some good info on different types of flairs.
    https://youtu.be/3dLL-1cLQGM
    2008 330EC
    Got mine yesterday. Definitely dont look strait into it. Very bright.... 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't look at this thing without welding goggles! I shut it off quickly so the Coast Guard didn't show up at my house. :D:D

Andy
    I will definitely continue to carry pyro flares.  Here's the thing:  there are two reasons to use a flare. 

The first case is when rescuers know about your emergency, and they are actively trying to find you.  For this case, the LED is superior because it's safer, it lasts for hours, it floats, it can be tied to a mast, and so forth.  

The other case is people do not know about your emergency, and you are trying to get their attention.  In this case, the LED is just a flashing beacon.  A casual observer might look right at the LED without realizing that "...---..." is Morse code for SOS.  At a quick glance, it could be mistaken for a buoy.  That would never happen with a flare.  

So, the LED has earned a permanent spot in my safety gear -- right next to my conventional flares.  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

I agree LaRea.  I will have the flares, but I don't like them because they are hot and dangerous (I've lit some old ones in my driveway several times, they are hard to hold). 

I'd say luckily on the bay, there are always people around, but, I will also say that even when in distress, people will go right by you.  I've had it happen, with my family in the water. The last thing I want to do after having a fire on a boat, is light a flare.   

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

We (Coast Guard Auxiliary) did a demonstration for the public where we had people use stick flares, flare guns and the rocket style.  The sticks are really dangerous if not used correctly.  The guns only last 15 seconds or so.  The rockets are impressive but expensive.  

If you're in a area patrolled by the Coast Guard, you are likely in a area where flares (or the new electric devices) are required.  The tickets they give out for those are expensive.

This will be the wave of the future and everyone will have them as some point and time. It extremely bright and safe. Its like anything, people need to be educated on it.
    Yeah, it will take years for LEDs to be as widely understood as pyro devices.  
    They are on sale again till tomorrow for $65!!

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks stodge, I'm def buying one
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3