Trim tab troubleshoot and replace

skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
Made it up to the boat storage to troubleshoot my starboard side trim tab that stopped working.
Thought I would explain what I went through and maybe help others in this position.

I started at the helm and removed the dash to gain access to the dash wiring.  It's a mess back there so I had to trace back the trim tab wires coming from the stern.

Each tab wire has a black and white wire...positive and negative.   My wires were bullet crimped to the trim tab control box so I snipped them free and exposed the wiring.  Applying 12 volts to either wire causes a working actuator to either go reverse or forward.

From there I applied 12 volts to the wires to both side tabs.  Port worked as desired.  Starboard did nothing and confirmed the actuator was the problem.

Back to the stern of the boat to unscrew the actuator from the tab itself and the transom.  I read that it might be possible to just remove the pins that keep the actuator in place, but I couldn't get them to budge in place.  So I removed the complete assembly.

Snipped the power wire from the outside and removed what I could of the 5200 or 4200 whichever was used to seal the hole.  Went to the inside of the boat and attempted to pull the old wire back through...but that was a no go.

I instead had to drill the old wire out, but no big deal.

When I got home I put the old actuator on my bench and opened it up.  About a cub of water poured out of the motor housing...so I can understand why it went bad :).

New one is on order...hopefully it will go in as smooth as the old came out.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Just a tip for others - before they snip off outside, do it inside the engine room first and run a jumper from battery to test. Just In case it’s a connection issue between switch and actuator, for example if they had been replaced before then maybe a bad joint. Worse case you have to disconnect here anyway if still faulty. Best case is bad connector and saves having to fix and waterproof what you did below waterline outside. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    Nice write up skennelly!  Can you post part numbers of actuator?  Yours are electric or hydraulic- forced fluid?  Thanks as I am troubleshooting this soon.
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @rinker270nb - I have electric and determined I had the 101 series.  This was the best price I found

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Lenco-12v-2-1-4-Stroke-Actuator-W-6-Wire-p/len15054-001.htm
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @icoultha - that's good advice about cutting from the inside.  I was pretty certain it was the actuator
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Ripple270Ripple270 Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone had experience swapping just the actuators out to Bennett brand while keeping the Lenco control box and dash switches? There looks to be a direct 12v replacement part on eBay and Amazon that is compatible for this application. The electric Lenco 101 actuators seem to be notorious for failing over time. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, yeah, but the time between failures seems to be about 10-12 years.  Does anybody have fleet statistics for Bennett?  
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Personal experience with bennett, I have bennets on 2 boats.  Both were slip queens. One in fresh water all her life one in brackesh for 10 years then fresh. One is a 92 the other an 89.  

The 92 is the rinker, shes has new switches, the rest is original. She sat in the brackash and has bottom coat on her tabs

The 89 needed new hoses when i accidently hit one with my grinder cutting out the old transom. The rest is original. Never had a bottom coat.

Both boats sat on trailers during winter from about November to April.