Options

Fridge Door

kordokordo Member Posts: 229 ✭✭
I recently switched the direction my fridge door opens so that we don't have to reach over it when we are in the galley.  Small thing but it makes things a lot more convenient.  It required removing the fridge but I think the time and effort involved was worth it especially considering that I was able to take a look at the area behind the fridge and under the galley counter.   

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Looks nice!  I've given it some thought, but I know someone that had done that many many years ago and the fridge opened up while cruising and busted the door completely off the hinge.  When it is the other way, the door will tend towards closing while cruising. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Never thought of that.  I believe there is a lock on the door, but I'll check next time I'm at the boat.  Thanks.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I switched the door on my cockpit fridge a few years ago. Made life so much easier!!! Good call @Dream_Inn I would have never thought of the galley fridge opening while underway. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Have had it happen with the previous fridge in the galley.  On longer trips on big water I'll put masking tape in an X over the fridge doors to help prevent that.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the fridges that are OEM Rinker  (Dometics for sure) have very effective locks on them that will not open under way. Even if it didn't it would be easy to rig a very attractive alternative IMO. Fridge doors swinging the right way is a huge benefit.
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    All the fridges that are OEM Rinker  (Dometics for sure) have very effective locks on them that will not open under way. Even if it didn't it would be easy to rig a very attractive alternative IMO. Fridge doors swinging the right way is a huge benefit.
    You forgot to say "now".  The Tundra I had was not as secure.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Stodge said:
    Michael T said:
    You forgot to say "now".  The Tundra I had was not as secure.

I agree, a lot of the older fridges (at least 2008 and older) don't always stay closed.  Especially if you pack the food that sometimes we do in it! :)  We've never had the issue or ever thought about changing it around, so at this point I'll leave it the way it is.  Especially since mine has opened I'd say at least once a year.  (just sometimes you get caught in some rough weather, usually when we are on a long trip - hence a filled fridge).  Heck, I had my microwave dish come out and break once, and it wasn't even rough - just hit a wave the right way I guess.  So now, it comes out for the long trips too.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @kordo can you post some pics of your custom galley?? Looks like you have great (functional) cabinetry compared to what Rinker provided. 
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
  • Options
    YYZRC, will do next time I'm at boat.
  • Options
    YYZRC, here they are.  Previous owner made the changes.

• Options
    edited July 2023
    I’m blown away. What a huge difference! Especially above the sofa. I wonder what motivated the PO to go to town on it?!

Would also love to see what the PO did with the aft cabin area. I think you mentioned that it was modified?
    Post edited by YYZRC on
  • Options
    YYZRC, here are the pics, excuse the mess.  Don't know why the previous owner changed things.  

• Options
    edited July 2023
    Fascinating @kordo - a lot of effort for sure!

That looks like an AC controller - do you have 2 AC units?
  • Options
    It's the control panel for a satellite dome.  I've never used it, requires a subscription.  We sometimes watch movies etc. from our laptops connected to the tv using an hdmi cable or streaming on our cell phones.  
  • Options
    Totally fascinating. What a massive amount of work!