Options

Tow vehicle

2»

Comments

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    There’s nothing that can be said, or done, that would justify pulling something that’s at least 50% over any vehicles max tow rating. 
  • Options
    xalaposxalapos Member Posts: 3
    Hello All ! looking to buy a 262 tinker Captiva bowlder and wanted to ask about the towing. boat is rated at 5800 lbs and my 2015 Grand Cherokee Overland is rated at 7300 lbs. see any issues as im right at the limit? 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Upgrade your tow vehicle to a 3/4 ton.
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RAM 3500 Cummins. Wont even know its behind you LOL
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is 50% over tow capacity coming from...not seeing that math?
  • Options
    Get an f550 or the new f600 ....
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Where is 50% over tow capacity coming from...not seeing that math?
    Boat + trailer + gear + gas. I ran mine across the scales at the landfill and it was 6900 lbs, so your are right. That's actually more than 50% of the OPs 4500 lb limit. 
  • Options
    Ras, does the f650 have a cummins and Allison???
  • Options
  • Options
    The truck is rated for 7200 which means it has the hemi... don't know if the weight he is saying the boat is is boat trailer or just the boat. And I don't know what o p means.

• Options
    edited April 2019
    rasbury said:
    The truck is rated for 7200 which means it has the hemi... don't know if the weight he is saying the boat is is boat trailer or just the boat. And I don't know what o p means.

OP = original post. 

If you read the posts in order, my post about 50% above the tow rating was BEFORE the gentleman with the 7200 lb tow rating even joined the forum ;)

my post was clearly in response to the original post....the guy that started the thread. 4500 lb tow rating. This thread is almost a year old. Not real sure where you got I was responding to the new guy when my response is directly above his. Lol 
  • Options
    I was responding to the new guy
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Oh well when you said "I don't know what OP means," and referred to the person you were speaking to as "he" it appeared to be a response to me, since I'm the only one who mentioned OP. My apologies :) carry on. 
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    rasbury said:
    Nope
    They use too
  • Options
    Our recent diesel is doing very well!
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    6.7l F-350.  Do all ya want. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭
    6.7l F-350.  Do all ya want. 

Same truck here. Doesn't even know my boat is behind it, and the 5th wheel....barely! 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    yep, that's a fine truck for sure....
  • Options
    walleyrwalleyr Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2019
    Speaking of F-350, I found a pre-owned 2015 CCLB XLT.  Has 51,000 miles on it. The truck has new american force wheels. Going to go look at it this weekend. I would appreciate if you have any tips/advice for me.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have an f350 7.3 pulling our 280EC and I still have concerns,it pulls it just fine but I'm a worrier. I can't imagine towing some of the things people pull with vehicles not rated for it. I've considered just buying a used semi truck so I don't even have to think about what I pull. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    The 7.3 is lethargic compared to newer diesels that produce an easy douple the torque and hp. The trade off is reliability.  I still think the old 12v 6bt beats them all in mpgs and if matched to a newer Allison transmission i think one thats got a slight turbo upgrade and fuel scew turned out could really be a beast.  I have a 30 to 40 hp tow tune to help change the shift points for the larger tires.

With the 7.3 it tows well but to maintain your highway speeds you need to plan ahead, accelerate going down hill before hitting the next hill to keep the rpm range in the sweet spot. Im at 320k and going strong.  My 4x4 excursion is past due for new leaf springs all around but still tows better than most swr pick ups due to the weight above the rear axle.  Its easy to have the tongue weight a little light on the boat after you toss in the geneator, couple full coolers, fill up the fuel tank and water tank.  Sometimes its impossible for me to get my boat perfect on the roller trailer due to wind, waves or boat traffic. Loading solo i also dont want to hold up the ramp.  I can feel it get a little bouncy, a light puck up bed would make me nervous.  I have 35 inch all terrain tires that measure almost 13 inches wide, i have never needed to put it in 4wd to pull up the ramp.  Im geared 3.73, i wish i had 4.10s with the 35s but they allow me to launch with only the rear bumper in the water, 4 to 5 inch lift. 

A stock v10 excursion would out tow even a tow tune 7.3 with slightly worse mpgs.  A v10 excursion is also cheaper.  

The weak point on the 7.3 is the 4r100.  Costs about 3k for a stage 1 rebuild, for about 6 a shop in Arkansas will bullet proof it with unlimited mile and hp warranty. If you can get it there he will set it up for your driving style and needs.  
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    I will keep my RAM 3500 6.7 Aisin tranny and 4.10 rear thankyou very much. 
  • Options
    I did have the transmission bullet proofed and have a few engine mods,stock tires and height. Pulls just fine I just hate feeling like I am torturing my truck. Luckily we keep the boat in the marina all year so I only tow the boat a couple times a year. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Its sad ford did the recall on the weak sprag on the 4r100 matched to all gassers but not diesels.  Id be more upset of my original transmission hadn't lasted until 300k on the dot before that weak sprag went out. I limped home from Myrtle Beach 5 hrs away. Didn't fully lose 2nd gear until i got home. 

I'd estimate my boat, trailer and gear are in the 7000 lbs range. The excursion alone is almost 8000.  I don't feel like its abuse towing 2 hrs round trip every weekend with the 6.0 transmission cooler installed!  
  • Options
    Didn't know about the recall. We got 220k before ours overheated and burned the clutches. We weren't original owners so who knows what the previous owner did for maintenance. I think just upgrading the cooling on the 4r100 would be enough for it to last much longer. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    On gas models, with the ability to rev higher, if you gave it gas in 1st, let off the fuel then punched it again as it was going into second gear you could break them at will.  The 7.3 didnt rev to 3000 plus rpms to duplicate that but was still a weak point.  If you're not flushing the transmission every 50k you're doing well to last over 150k.  I believe fords solution was to use the older e0d sprag. Im not positive of the tranny code of the obs fords nut it has and e0d in it in some order.

Burning one up without proper care is easy especially with that undersized 7.3 tranny cooler.
  • Options
    EllerIIEllerII Member Posts: 2
    Looking for a trailer for a 2008 280 Express. Boat is North Carolina. 
    thank you