Options

Access to stereo / microwave 2002 fiesta vee 270

drewc64drewc64 Member Posts: 10
Updating the head unit that was in it when I bought it.  It has to be original since it has a tape player.  There is no way to get into the rats nest of wires between the stereo and the amplifier.  Does anyone know how to get back there?  There are screws that run down the side, but after removing them the whole console is still solid as a rock!

second question.  Where would YOU mount a subwoofer in the cockpit???

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same boat.  I switched out my head unit without a problem.  Remove the head unit and you should have access to the wire harness.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Hey, thanks for chiming in.  The head unit comes out.  There is an amp mounted flush to the hull (or thereabouts) that I can't reach.  I am replacing the amp as well.
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm starting the same job soon. Was going to remove the microwave to get better access and just because I want to see what's back there. Pics?
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    You guys have the radio by the microwave?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @drewc64 - gotcha...yeah I agree accessing the amp to remove it looks hard.  Sorry I don't any advice
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    skennelly said:
    Right above it.
  • Options
    This is what I have but there was both a stereo and a 6 disc CD player.

i removed the screws from the trim that butts to the hull.  No luck.

i have a different microwave.  Could not get it out from front.  If I could there would be almost enough room to get in there.
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Why does your 2002 FV270 look completely different from my 2002 FV270?!
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Mines a 2000. I think maybe 2002 was first year of new design?
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Willhound said:
    Mines a 2000. I think maybe 2002 was first year of new design?
    Ahhh... gotcha. 
  • Options
    And sorry...original poster did mention 2002. I forgot they changed.
  • Options
    Thread bump!  

If no one knows how to get behind all that stuff, who can weigh in on where to put that sub.  There is a storage bin to the right of the helm.  Thought of removing that and making the open a bit bigger.  I would have to put some sort of housing around it... which might look crappy.
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Here is the thread of my 2003 -270 stereo install.  I put my sub behind the cockpit sink and in front of the starboard step.  I'm not sure if you have this area to install because of the different layout.

https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/92627#Comment_92627
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    I looked at some 2000-270s on boat trader and saw what I posted above probably won't work because of the layout.  Here are 2 other locations that may work...

"Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    Those would work. Just keep in mind I think they'll intrude into the aft bunk area. Might be better in the port side of the sidewall just in front if the rear seat. 
  • Options
    Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Willhound said:
    skennelly said:
    Right above it.
    My 2000 FV270 is exactly like this one in the pic.  I removed the trim from around the microwave, then removed the microwave.  Literally took just a few minutes.  Also, there are removable inserts on the radio cover to access the screws.  Take them off and you can remove the radio.  The whole process shouldn't take more than fifteen minutes or so.  I did have to fabricate a piece of starboard to install a new radio since the opening and hole pattern didn't match my Clarion which I removed from my prior boat.
  • Options
    Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    As far as subs go, there are other options.  I replaced the rear cockpit speakers with JL Audio M880's.  Of course I had to amp them, but I find I really don't need a sub.  Unless you really want seriously pounding bass, the M880's with enough clean power behind them will do the job very well.  The have a large mass and plenty of air behind them to give really good bass response.