Options

Get the FUNK Out!

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking for advice on the best methods to get that funky musty smell out of my cushions and aft mattress pad. The boat always has that "boat smell" but it wasn't until I stored all the cushions in the basement for the winter that I realize how strong the odour is. All you can smell in my basement now. Most of the polyester covers are removable but I'd be nervous about throwing them in the washer on a gentle cycle for fear of shrinkage or getting torn. As far as the cabin carpet I plan on renting a portable steam cleaner and giving it a good clean when the weather warms up. Not a big fan of Febreze and the like, not sure what chemicals they use, but it can't be good. What's worked for you?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Maybe try washing the covers by hand in the bath tub with some detergent then hang them outside to dry. I have used spray on carpet cleaner in the past that you spray on rub it in than vacuum up and it works very well.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    May have nothing to do with it, but I was plagued with nasty boat smell and couldn't figure it out. Then I switched the AC drain from the bilge to the shower box and the smell has all but gone away. Don't really get why...there's still always a little water down in the bilge, just doesn't stink anymore. 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Bucket of damp rid

i use one for summer and one for winter

some sort of air freshener that kills bacteria.
    they sell everything at Lowe’s or depot.

yes take material off if possible and wash
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We use damprid in the winter, then some of the canister style gel air fresheners scattered around the cabin.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Have done the damp rid and air freshener. This stink is right in the upholstery from previous owner and a drive oil leak I fought all last summer. So a mix of musty with general 18 year old fabric with an underlying hint of petroleum product. I left them all spread around my very dry basement for the winter and while they are a little better, things could improve. Going to try the suggestion of hand washing the covers and give the carpet in the cabin a good steam clean when (if) the weather warms up. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Hose down the upholstery (and the stuffing) with Febreze.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge said:
    Hose down the upholstery (and the stuffing) with Febreze.  :)
    As a last resort. Not a big fan of Febreze. The chemical cocktail listed in the ingredients would scare Dr. Frankenstein. Also have an issue with a low tolerance for scents. Could maybe try the no scent version and let them sit outside for several sunny days.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I was going to clean my aft cabin mattress this spring.  My plan was to mix up laundry soap and soak the cover in it and scrub.  The foam the same and then hit with a hose to rinse.

Our dog had an accident. :0
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe try placing them outside, provided the weather is nice, for a few days. The fresh air should help a ton.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!