Options

Burping large amount of gear oil

Took her for an hour long cruise today to the other side of the lake.  Running around 3400 RPM and next time I know I get an alarm.  So I cut everything off, open the hatch and there is half a quart of gear oil in the bottom of the boat.... so I add what was pushed out.  Started back up and away we went back to the dock. I made it back with no alarms but when I opened the engine hatch again, I could tell I was low on oil and it was now residing in the bottom of the boat.... 

Starboard unit.
2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    follow your hose from reservoir to the transom plate, and inspect it the entire length.  make sure it's connection is well seated and make sure the line isn't broken somewhere... likely that easy. except for cleaning that mess- that isn't going to be easy.  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    If you don't already keep oil-absorbing pads in your bilge, I bet you will now!  
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was your gear oil changed last Fall? A surprisingly large amount of oil can get burped-out if air gets trapped during a complete drain and re-fill. 
  • Options
    CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Nope. But since it burped so much I have them draining it and adding fresh oil while I'm traveling. 
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 1/2 qt is a lot of oil to overflow.  Just saying.  An overheated drive can do that tho.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I've had the level go down from a burp, not not had any come out from that.  Might be worth inspecting the gear oil reservoir for cracks.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As others have said, check everything from the tank back to the transom. Hopefully your issue is somewhere in the line. If not, the next most suspect piece is the goofy little plastic fitting Merc uses to go through the transom to the drive. Prone to cracking/breaking. Possible to change without pulling drive, but not easy. Need monkey arms. And finally, if not that, then upper drive seal pushing oil in past the gimbal bearing through bellows and into the bilge. This is an issue I fought with all last summer and am now doing a complete drive re-seal, gimbal bearing and upper yoke. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I had the same issue days before my outdrive blew. One or more of the bearings went bad, generating enough heat to cause the oil to expand and push out into the bilge. When it finally went, I initially thought the motor seized but later found it was the outdrive that locked up. You may be able to smell burnt gear oil. It has a very unique smell compared to fresh oil. When I took mine apart, all the plastic on the lock nuts had melted.
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure my out drive is about to go... all signs point to that.  I have started researching reman out drives.  I'm not too upset about it, since I have 2 brand new motors, might as well match them up with new drives. Its a boat! haha
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought a new one with a 3 car warranty from a guy in Fla here is the price and contact info
    Greg;

CPO (Certified Pre Owned) 1 yr. warranty......$5,600

New, with 1 year warranty ...............................6,290

New Sea Core with 3 year Warranty...............6,485.

Shipping for any is $189.

Thanks,

John (800) 710-8015
  • Options
    I will look into that.  I remember a few guys on here recommend a guy from up north, I guess I will have to do a search and see where it was.  Thanks for the recommendation, how much was the install?
  • Options
    Yep that is it!!