Options

2002 232 question

coop232coop232 Member Posts: 6
I have the 02 232 cuddy cabin with 350 MAG MPI Bravo 3 with 28p props. MY performance has been fine for the most part but i have a problem at wakeboard speeds keeping the boat on plane. I am torn between going to the hill marine 26p 4x4 or putting a set of trim tabs on the boat, or if i should do both. I boat in kentucky so its never in high altitude. Anyone here running the 4x4's on a 232 or 246 (similar size) and/ or running trim tabs for same reason and have some feedback before i spend the coin on these things. 

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Curious what "wakeboard speed" is.  If that's at the edge of where the boat planes, then tabs should keep you on plane at lower speed.  But you lose performance doing that.  Going lower pitch on the props would help with the lower end, but that effects overall performance, not just wakeboarding.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wakeboard speeds are 14 to 18 MPH. The 232 really needs tabs. If I would have kept my 232cc, tabs were going to be the next upgrade. It would have helped that boat get on plane and stay on plane at lower speeds.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Yes we normally wakeboard around 18-22 mph. I was under the impression the 26p 4x4 props would help out the most and trim tabs would just be icing on the cake. So y'all are saying trim tabs over new props? 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    @coop232, I'm just lurking around here these days as we sold our 246, but cannot stay away from the forum. Any way, Our 246 had 350 MAG MPI, Bravo 3 and 24P props which I thought was kind of a dog getting on plane. It was alright, just not rocket like hole shot. We had factory Lenco trim tabs which I used once in a while if we were really loaded or conditions dictated. I know it took what seemed like a really long time to get my 250lb brother up on a wakeboard, even with trim tabs employed. 22P props would have worked better, but at the sacrifice of some fuel economy.
  • Options
    I guess the hull design changed a lot on the 246 then, my boat gets on plane great unless i have it loaded with 10+ people. but thats almost maxed out and i understand it underperforming when loaded like that. I am 250 myself and the boat will pop me right out of the water, the problem is keeping the nose down and speed consistent. It doesnt help that usually the person driving me isnt the most experienced either.
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Member Posts: 20
    I went with the Nauticus Smart Tabs and a new 4 blade prop. Completely changed the boat. The bow stays down and I have no issues getting on plane while pulling a wakeboarder. 
  • Options
    JeffH said:
    I went with the Nauticus Smart Tabs and a new 4 blade prop. Completely changed the boat. The bow stays down and I have no issues getting on plane while pulling a wakeboarder. 
    Is that on a 232? I didn't know the smart tabs were made for boats this big. Mainly thought it was for fishing boats and such 
  • Options
    JeffHJeffH Member Posts: 20
    Yes, this is my 1998 232. I have the tabs set on the middle adjustment and they are working great. The downside is that the shape of the transom doesn’t allow for a traditional installation in the outboard edge. I called Nauticus and they said that this inboard location is ok. 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I also have the smart tabs on my '03 232 and they helped a ton. The boat easily stays on plane at wakeboard speed s for my kids. No plowing at all. 
  • Options
    Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

I see a big discrepancy here on what people are talking about. Coop232 says he has a Bravo3 drive not Bravo1, which it looks like JeffH is showing and talking about. Huge difference. B3's have 2 props, B1 has 1 prop. B3 has different gear ratios than B1 drives.

I put Lenco 12"x12" Lenco trim tabs on my 232 B3 with 350Mag 4 years ago because it lacked low end plane and hole shot like you are stating. I had 26p props on it. Trim tabs made a big difference on low speed plane. I switched to 24p props last year because I wasn't close to 5,000 rpm top end. The 24p props made a big difference on low end power, low end plane, and got me to about 4,900 rpm top end.

I bought new Hill Marine 24p 4x4 props for my 232 for this year. I spoke to Hill Marine and they said the 4 blade props won't change top end rpm but will make a big difference on low end plane and hole shot. I haven't put them on and tried them yet.

Summary: 232Coop what is your top end rpm with 28p props? It can't be in recommended rpm range. Like I said with 24p props my top rpm is 4,900 rpm now. You need to choose your props by the top end rpm.

Since I bought new 24p Hill Marine props to try out, I have a set of 26p and 24p B3 props. The 24p props have 28 hrs on them. The 26p props have 180 hrs on them and they are like new also. I am willing to sell either set of props fairly priced.

To me it sounds like you may be over propped. If I did it all over again I would get my props in specs before spending the money on tabs. Yes the tabs make ride and stabilization better but props should be first IMO.

Rob

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I have a B3 with a 28P and the smart tabs are awesome. Boat perform great. I've even had 10 adults in the boat and pulled a skier. 
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    I also have a 232 cuddy, with 350 MAG, Bravo 3 drive, except I  have 24's for props, I boat at higher elevations.  I also have Lenco trim tabs.  The tabs aren't really useful for Wakeboarding, because you don't want to force the bow down, you actually want to lift it for a bigger wake. That being said......I absolutely LOVE the trim tabs!  They make a huge difference in fine tuning the ride, especially in rougher water  B)
    2000 Captiva 232