Options

Using MaryKate On & Off

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
This weekend I’ll be waxing my hull.  A few questions:

Before the season wax, is a acid based cleaner necessary?  

Looking to use On & off cleaner or their gel.  Option C would be a 50/50 mixture of muriatc acid.  If used, do I need to mask off the bottom painted hull?  Any experience using this would be appreciated. 
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your bottom dirty? I’ve only ever used on/off after leaving my boat in the water for a month with no bottom paint. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Are you just cleaning the waterline above the bottom paint?  I have had good luck with Starbrite hull cleaner in the spray bottle.  It is also a gel based cleaner. I think it is easier to keep the cleaner in the area you want.  I also use this to clean the waterline in the water.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Star-Brite-Hull-Cleaner-Gel-Spray-22-oz/51201194
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

If your bottom paint covers your water line I don't feel you need to use the aggressiveness of On & Off. Besides; your bottom paint will not take kindly to it! I haven't seen any non-ablative bottom paint NOT be affected from being touched by acid.

A cleaner/wax combination should remove any residue/stains in my opinion negating the need for the mess On & Off will create.

Good Luck!

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    For your hull sides, it should not be needed. There are some great cleaners out there for those stubborn stains before waxing.  On/off is for the bottoms that aren't painted.  I used to use it on my 310 that I had lift kept without bottom paint.  Would clean the bottom a few times a year (then I started using muratic/water mix).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks everyone!

My goals are to remove anything from the hull sides before I wax and to clean the white water line that is mucked up.

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    @JonnyM you use the starbrite above bottom paint and it doesn’t harm the paint correct?

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    JonnyMJonnyM Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    That is correct, I scrub and hose it off quickly and try to keep as much off the bottom paint as possible.  
    "Mosi on Dahn"  2003 Fiesta Vee 270
  • Options
    Thank you sir.  Just picked some up.
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270