Options

Battery charging

I have 4 AGM group 31 batteries for my 2006 342. The battery isolator has provisions to charge 3 batteries. It is wired to charge each battery to my engines which means the third is used to charge both house batteries in series. Question is the Rinker charger designed to charge the 2 batteries in series?imageimage

Comments

• Options
    Boatin BillBoatin Bill Member Posts: 22 ✭✭
    Correction,my house batteries are in parallel to maintain 12 voltsimage
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes you can run two house batteries from the "house" one output of your Intellipower cahrger. As Al said be sure to switch to AGM selection on your charger. As well, you need to make sure your HOUSE batteries are connected in the following manner. Run the +ve (Red) cable from the Intellipower Charger to the +ve terminal of the FIRST house battery. Then run a cable from that terminal to the +ve terminal of the SECOND house battery. Next, run the -ve (Black) cable from the Intellipower Charger to the -ve terminal of the SECOND house battery. Then run a cable from that terminal back to the -ve terminal of the FIRST house battery. This will not only give you a 12 volt parallel system but also give you better power supply, far better "evenness" of charging and longer battery life. If you have any questions google Progressive Dynamics as they have a great website. You can also contact them at 1-269-781-4241. Their website has info on battery types and wiring configurations although the method I just told you will work best for your application. Good Luck! MT P.S. - great battery choice AGMs are THE way to go!

• Options
    Boatin BillBoatin Bill Member Posts: 22 ✭✭

How is the charger "Switched" to AGM type batteries?  I looked everywere this weekend and cannot find anything to single out AGM batteries on the Intele Power PD2040. The gentlemen from DEKA stated that the battery charging requirements are the same for agm and only different on the GEL battery.  Any thoughts?

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's the (LINK) to a pdf owners manual for your charger. I read it because I have the same one and didn't see any way to differentiate between charging modes for AGM or flooded L.A. Even the pic you posted above clearly states "Cell Type: Lead Acid" on the front label. I'm curious what the process is too.
    Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are certainly plusses to agm/gel batteries, but as a 'rule' I replace my batteries every 3 years anyways so not sure they are worth the cost and upgrade of the charger I would need to make.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Boatin Bill -The guy from Deka is essentially correct. I have spoken with them a number of times. Flodded Cell and AGM can be charged with the same charger (Intellipower) profile without harming the batteries or the charger. IF you have the programmable Intellipower charger it is recommended that you select the AGM  - it is a "might as well recommendation since it's a feature you have - not a you HAVE to or else. I believe the process for a programmable Intellipower charger is to depress the mode button and scroll through to AGM then hold for 5 seconds. IF you have that feature you can find the exact process in your manual or at the Progressive Dynamics website. But to repeat - one of the many great features of AGM batteries is that they will accept without harm the charge profile of a flooded cell battery. All the best. MT
  • Options
    BD, I bought the AGMs because we will be hanging around islands on the hook, often overnight. I have a generator but would like to use it only when necessary. That means my stereo, two fridges, lighting, two tv/dvd players, anchoring lights, two programmable cabin fans and if I'm really pushing it, my underwater led lights will all be on the two `house`AGM batteries. I have stayed out one night so far and run a ton of stuff. The AGMs didn't even seen to notice.. So, to me, it was a question of type of usage. I have been told with my usage intentions I should get 5 years out of them. If I get four I will be happy. In the meantime they seem to be beasts that can take a beating and come right back. Regards. MT
  • Options

P.S. It is a pretty accepted rule that all batteries should be of the same chemistry. However, I believe that I was told that you "could" have two flooded cell starting batteries and two AGM house batteries if they were on separetye charging circuits. The reason i was given was that their charging profiles are so similar that neither would be harmed while charging - and - since they were isolated for discharging there would be no harm. However I would DEFINATELY check this with Penn Deka before I did it. In my case i had to buy four new batteries anyway so I just made them all series 32 Penn-Deka AGMs. MT.

• Options
    Make that series 31 AGMs
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Good info for those with the std 2040 charger and considering AGMs. So bumping to the top.