Options

242 vs 250

hello all
looking to become a Rinker owner real soon! Coming out of a bay line 2355 ciera. I'm looking at a 2001 Rinker 242 and a 2002 rinker 250, both fiesta Vee. I was able to check out a 250 locally and loved it. Felt it was very roomy. I've heard that a 242 is almost the same with a little less headroom in the cabin. Does anyone have any expiriance with both boats? 

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some guys on here have those boats, they will respond. What motors do these boats have?
  • Options
    onexl85onexl85 Member Posts: 12
    The 242 is a 350 carb alpha 1 g2 and the 250 has the 305 fuel injected with a b3
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We have a 2001 242 and love it. The head room is great no complaints there, way better than my cousins SR 240. We have a Merc 5.7 with an Alpha drive, a Bravo III would be a great option to have. I do like the alpha once you get used to docking, easy to remove and maintain yourself. We now have an 8 month old and I can see wanting to upgrade to a larger boat in a couple of years.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    The guy is asking 15000 on a trailer, been a lake boat all its life. Thoughts?
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you plan to trailer the boat or leave in the water? 
  • Options
    Mostly in the water
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the 02 is a little more boat and probably a little more $ . 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I have a 2000 242, throttle body injected 5.7 with the Bravo III outddrive. Being about 6 ft tall, headroom is a little lacking. I can stand upright at the foot of the stairs by the head, but have to bend slightly everywhere else in the cabin. I trailer the boat with a 2010 Silverado 1500 equipped with the 10,000 towing package with no problem. For the most part I love the boat, but on the hook the electric stove, microwave, air conditioner and electric hot water heater are about usless. The previous owner was a "dock rat" and was mostly hooked up to water and power. It will cruise around 30 MPH, and have hit 48 MPH on gps going down river alone, empty, with half tank of fuel. Welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    The alpha drive is both lighter and cheaper to rebuild or replace. The Bravo 3 is heavier, stronger, and of course more expensive. The Bravo 3 has better low speed handling for docking, and seems to plane off better, but if you ruin a set of props, your looking at about $1000 to purchase new from Mercury, which makes having spares on board also more expensive. 

Did I mention boating is expensive? LOL
  • Options
    So I went with the 2001 242, picked it up today! Turns out it is a 5.0 EFI with an alpha. Paid 14000 with a trailer. Boat is immaculate, spent its summers on Lake Erie 
    where does Rinker locate the air unit on the 242? Could someone post a pic along with the model number. That was the only snag was there wasn't AC, but I've added ace to a boat before....not scared!!!!
    thanks fellas!
  • Options
    I believe my unit is located on the starboard side aft of the head. I remember seeing it when I pulled out the cabinet/toilet paper holder in the head while checking some plumbing. The air discharge is on the stairs going into the cabin, and the return is in the aft cabin. The controls are also in the aft cabin which is kind of a pain in the butt, but if your putting the unit in, you may be able co choose a more convienant location.
  • Options
    Thank you! Could you post some pics? Wanna do this as close to stock as possible
  • Options
    As soon as I uncover it.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, welcome to the forum!
  • Options
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @onexl85 welcome to the RBOC nice upgrade from a Bayliner to Rinker. You will love it.

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Welcome to the forum! Lots of grew people here to help out. Make sure to post pics. Especially as you male changes or additions.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express