Options

Generator operation

laker83laker83 Member Posts: 11
we just bought a 2005 270 fiesta vee. The generator ran great on test drive but now after delivery I cannot get the generator to start. Blower operates fine but nothing when I push start button in cabin. I’m sure I don’t have a switch flipped or something simple. It only has 24 hours on the generator. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you for accepting us into the Rinker family!

Answers

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    On the generator itself, pull the cover, make sure switch is flipped to "Automatic". It's red in color.

In the rear electrical panel - the one with battery switches: turn the generator battery switch to "ON". This connects the genny starter to the battery.

In the AC electrical panel - the one in the cabin - run the blower a few minutes, then press the Generator Start/Stop button. It should start.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    Only 24 hours in 13 years?  That's not a good thing.  Get yourself into the habit of running the genny at least twice a month for 20 minutes with a load (AC, water heater, etc).  It will save you a lot of heartache.  

Welcome to the forum!  
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    @laker83==i believe above the generator =there is a breaker switch ...it needs to be on==its mounted above =if your lying down looking into engine room=look back
    yes also on =auto on the gen 

yes =once shes up and running try and use under load every weekend

congrats on your new 270=we have a 06 should be just alike==great boat
    where are ya out of
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    06 here also...if it was running before and you did mot touch anything you may have some issues...mine as a battery switch mounted on the fire wall, a fuel valve in line neat the Genny. You should also have a fuel filter. I have I guess a control box on the side but have never realm messed with it. Start with the easy stuff like the fuel filter. If it has sat that long, may have some carb issues. Beyond that, do a search on this site and you will find all kinds of info- sittin is not good and do run it often.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Sounds like step one is the generator battery switch. On my 06 342 it is located on the fire wall in the engine room just as Ras describes
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    laker83laker83 Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the info..we are in KY, Herrington Lake. I didn’t see a breaker switch on the fire wall but will look. It ran fine on our test run as well as under load. That was three weeks ago.
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The switch will be on the transom wall, not the firewall.  Big battery on/off type. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Mine on my 270 is on the firewall, Genny is located in front of the motor and over the end of the fuel tank. Filter is also mounted there.
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    @laker83==i was thinking it was a breaker...but its a battery switch
  • Options
    That's like mine- also change the fuel filter. Other than that, if its been sitting then you can only work your way up- there are lots of posts with Genny issues. They just don't get enough use apparently to keep things in working order. I've had good luck with mine but I dry store the boat and not around salt air which may help some...
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Did you push the start button on the genny itself, or just in the cabin?  If it works on the genny and not in the cabin you have a bad connection somewhere.  My power pin that connects the remote start to the genny has rusted out twice now.  Obviously this is much more common if you boat in salt water.
  • Options
    Good call craigs- did not think of that.