Options

Has anyone added cabin ventilation to a 342?

Just got a 2003 342 at the end of last season.   Seems like there isn't much natural ventilation in the cabin.  Has anyone added any additional vents - maybe solar?   

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where would you put that??
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only spot for a solar vent would be in one of the three overhead ports. Honestly I’ve never felt that my 342 has a ventilation problem. There are 6 total openable ports plus the main door so when not running the ac I’ve never had a need for more vents. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @Liberty44140 plenty of ways to get air. If your thinking about when your not there. There is a setting on the AC/heat unit for humidity control. Comes on every hour or so, runs little then shuts off.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,548 mod
    Welcome to the forum!

When I had my 342, I always thought the v-berth didn't get enough air circulation for sleeping.  I used a portable fan sitting on the floor near the mid-berth to circulate air inside the cabin.  
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Humidity control runs the AC for 15 minutes every 60 minutes
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    only time i ever have a worry about ventilation is while underway and using camper cover.  Backdraft pulls in fumes and has set off the C0@ alarm.  it would be nice to put in some form of exhaust fan to help circulate air out and fresh air in.  Opening the windows and doors gives you good positive ventilation as long as you have a breeze.  It has never been enough of an issue for me to do anything about though.  Too many other items to tackle when for the most part the AC or a portable fan did the trick.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    normnorm Member Posts: 7
    Hi - thanks for all the feedback.

I used a solar vent in my previous boat -  that didn't have AC.   It worked pretty well.   It was installed above the forward berth and actually kept fresh air circulating - even on rainy days/nights.

I'll see how it goes this season.   Sounds like most folks don't see the need for it on the 342.

If I decided to install one I think I could put it just aft of the front hatch.