Options

Engine coating peeling

imlovinitimlovinit Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
asking for advice here. My Rinker Captiva 24.5 is only 2 years old with 120 hours. The  black coating area under the Flame arrestor is peeling terribly. Has anyone else have this problem. could this be a warranty issue? If not warranty should I just paint it?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    stray voltage will do that.  exponentially worse with aluminum... exponentially again with saltwater, aluminum, and stray voltage.  

i can guess that intake manifold is aluminum, as there is no rust on it while there is seemingly substantial rust on the lifting eye on the thermostat neck. 

you may be able to paint it, but... that casting is supposed to be smooth not shot blast as it appears.  so... you'd be chasing your tail to do so.  a cast iron intake manifold is a better plan around saltwater, with a good coating of enamel on it, and with no stray voltage from unprotected circuits near it. 

i'd almost bet this is stray voltage issue, though, on a 2 year engine and especially if saltwater and an aluminum intake manifold.  I wonder what the interior of it looks like- and how bad the runners are.   
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Most definitely not right.  Call Rinker and ask for help diagnosing the problem.  Paint would temporarily hide the problem, but not solve it.  
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    I would hope you would be able to have it replaced under warranty 
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Bring the boat to a Rinker or Mercruiser Dealer, get a claim going under your warranty. That is not normal to be that corroded.
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For sure, this is not going away with a little paint and don't let them tell you it will...and the inside?
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. Looks bad for the age. Some issue for sure.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    imlovinitimlovinit Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    It's at the Mercruiser service shop. They are saying its a defect.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s good news, so it will be covered by warranty?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ye go to dealer and are you salt