Looking for the perfect small tool kit

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
I'm looking for suggestions to replace a small tool kit used for quick jobs on the boat. 

This is the "go to" kit that I keep handy in the cockpit for when I don't want to haul out my real tools.  The kit I had, shown below, is almost perfect:
  • It's small.
  • It has tools I need, including a ratcheting bit driver.
  • It does NOT have tools I don't need, such as a hammer or keychains of crappy useless Allen keys.  
  • Each tool has a holder, so I know I didn't leave a tool behind.  
  • The bits and sockets won't fall out if I drop the case.
Unfortunately, the cardboard case fell apart after a couple years, and the elastic straps are a hassle.  I need a kit exactly like this, except with a hard plastic case.  Every kit I've found with a plastic case has some deal-killing fault such as it's too big, or the sockets can fall out, or it's full of useless crap.  

Like I said, this one is pretty good.  But I want perfect!

Stowaway Tool Kit

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw this in Lowes the other day and did not buy it- they did not have a price marked and well, right now the tools in my garage are working fine since that is where my motor is! I do want to get this and tie it down my the hot water heater....it has shelves for all the bits and pieces and a top that opens I guess for larger tools...I saw a similar set in Harbor Freight for 45 bucks....
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the tool kit that Ras pictured above. I got it a few years ago during a black Friday sale. It is a little too much, but works well in soft bags. I got socket holders from Harbor Freight for the sockets. That way I know which one is missing.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    I have a full set of mechanics tools for big jobs.  What I need is something in a 8"x6"x2" package for little jobs.  
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    West marine sells that one you have, buy a new one. Probably the best you will find with out the hard case.
    https://www.westmarine.com/buy/west-marine--stowaway-tool-kit--13998679?recordNum=1
    Boat Name : 

• Robs_232Robs_232 Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭

LaRea,

I made my own tool kit as I wanted electrical tools with marine connectors, sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, pliars, etc. I also included adjustable wrench, allen wrenches, a multimeter (a must on a boat). I bought a small tool bag. I even have a small assortment of screws and bolts in case I need something. It might not be for me, but to help someone else out on the water.

I know I can't carry everything, but it makes me feel better.

Rob

• LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,728 mod
    I already have just about every tool you can imagine:  three toolboxes, sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, drill bits, fasteners, electrical supplies, cordless drill and more.  But I have to store them in places that are inconvenient, such as under the v-berth.  

I'm looking for a SMALL toolkit to keep in the cockpit for SMALL jobs.  

If nobody has a better suggestion, I'll just go back to WM and get another one like in the photo, and I'll be back here in 2-3 years looking for something better.
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I keep a stubby ratchet screwdriver and a multi-tool handy.  They cover most things.  It seems 9 times out of 10 I need a Philips head screwdriver.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX