Options

Door latch/Sliding door 2003 342 Rinker FV

BrianRBrianR Member Posts: 12
Good morning, I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction, I can not find a piece I'm looking for. On the sliding door, that goes down into the galley area, the latch/door handle, comes right off. There is a black plastic piece that goes in there that holds the latch into place, the screw on the latch/door handle goes through it and holds it to the door. I hope that makes sense. The door sticks since I've bought it last year and it all has been a problem although I have to admit, I didn't get that far into fixing it since I'm working on many things getting to together since It sat for a few years before I bought it last summer. If anyone can point me in the right direction to find some of these miscellaneous parts that would be great. Thank you
2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard!

Your best bet is greatlakesskipper.com but not sure if you'll find it.  I have a similar problem where the part of the door where the screw that secures the latch has broken.  I think there is enough surface area that I can drill a new hole and attach new screws.  But it hasn't been a big enough issue to deal with.

As for the door, a friend of mine told me to try pledge furniture polish in the track and I have to admit it does help.  The correct fix would be to replace the trucks but getting to them would be a challenge.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,538 mod
    Welcome to the forum!

From your description of the boat, it sounds like you should bookmark www.greatlakesskipper.com.  I don't see your door latch on there, but it's usually the best place to start.

Is this it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobella-Flush-Boat-Cabin-door-latch-lock-white-5-5-8-/250899604042 
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian- I have a 270 and had the same issue with the door sticking. What I found was that the floor of the boat that the track mounts on has a crown to it and the upper and lower track are parallel. At some point, there may have been some spacers or something at the far end of the track to keep them parallel. I know I saw the track was loose, tightened it up and man, could not hardly close it. I got some washers and kept building up the end of the track until it operated smoothly. Don't know if yours is made the same way but would suspect it is!

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

• Options
    LaRea said:
    Welcome to the forum!

From your description of the boat, it sounds like you should bookmark www.greatlakesskipper.com.  I don't see your door latch on there, but it's usually the best place to start.

Is this it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mobella-Flush-Boat-Cabin-door-latch-lock-white-5-5-8-/250899604042 
    LaRea, It's a part that goes inside the latch that may be just specific for a Rinker. It holds that latch onto the door. Why I say specific to a Rinker is my buddy has a SeaRay and his latch actually mounts through a screw hole on the door. What I can try to do when I minute is post a picture. Thank you for the link. 
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    Welcome aboard!

Your best bet is greatlakesskipper.com but not sure if you'll find it.  I have a similar problem where the part of the door where the screw that secures the latch has broken.  I think there is enough surface area that I can drill a new hole and attach new screws.  But it hasn't been a big enough issue to deal with.

As for the door, a friend of mine told me to try pledge furniture polish in the track and I have to admit it does help.  The correct fix would be to replace the trucks but getting to them would be a challenge.

Stodge, I will try the pledge idea, it does sound like it makes a bit of sense. I honestly didn't look far into the door not sliding issue yet but will this weekend. As rasbury mentioned, I'll check the track out as well. But the door latch breaking is because of the door sticking.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I have been going through Greatlakes, they do have a lot of items. I just bought the boat last summer, although it was a one owner boat, it has sat for 5 years so it has some cosmetics that need taken care of. For instance, I want to replace all the dash wood pieces and switches. I'm finding it a tad difficult to find the exact parts though. I guess I just need to be patient. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I waited too long to replace the trim piece for the switches and they are not to be found any more.  They do have some of the gauge pieces and I've seen the circuit breaker panels too.  

Hmmmm, wonder if @diggin2day1 could make a replacement if he got a sample....

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 326 ✭✭✭
    Brian , I had the same problem with my 320 a couple of years ago. The black plastic filler is weak and breaks. I took the broken piece and used it as a template and cut a new one with a piece of scrap teak flooring I had, shaped into into the proper size and it has worked flawlessly since. This was a fairly easy repair. 
  • Options
    goalie59 said:
    Brian , I had the same problem with my 320 a couple of years ago. The black plastic filler is weak and breaks. I took the broken piece and used it as a template and cut a new one with a piece of scrap teak flooring I had, shaped into into the proper size and it has worked flawlessly since. This was a fairly easy repair. 
    Thank you, I figured that's what I would have to do.
  • Options
    merrickmmerrickm Member Posts: 24
    My lower track on 342 had a low friction plastic I would call a heavy tape that got wrinkled up and had to be removed been trying to figure out replacement . It does not appear that new tracks come with this..any ideas