Steering Control Valve - RAM replacement

I am planning to replace my steering control valve or RAM. I have done some homework and looked at the service manual and seems straight forward but as I have found out not everything is in the service manual. It appears the system is self bleeding by turning the steering wheel back and forth several times and explains the installation in detail (making sure the flat surfaces of the cable guide are in the vertical position etc)

So what I am looking for is any gotcha's or tips before I start from people who may have taken this task on and had some lessons learned they wish to share.

2001 Rinker 242

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Straight forward other than space to work
  • floater212floater212 Confirm Email, Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    i swapped out mine a few years ago, easy job, didn't fix loose steering. bought new cable and that fixed it, tight as it should have been! 
  • prgrod01prgrod01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭

Being that the boat is a 01 and we use it for salmon fishing and troll on the main engine for many hours, I don't have a kicker and you need the bigger motor in the rougher waters. Anyways over the last couple years the steering is getting tighter and tighter particularly at idle speeds, not bad at cruising speed. I see lots of posts on this site with similar problems, so I suspected the steering cable is getting tight and\or the RAM needed replaced. Upon further investigation I found the seal on the piston is leaking on the RAM and I was hoping to secure a used unit for a reasonable price so thought I would replace both the cable and RAM to see if it helps.

It's been pouring rain on the West Coast so I haven't got this off my to do list yet, but I'm hoping it helps.

2001 Rinker 242
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That should work for you
  • prgrod01prgrod01 Member Posts: 53 ✭✭

Thanks Al, that is a great price. I was able to secure a used unit locally that did the job.

Replaced the RAM and cable and made all the difference.

2001 Rinker 242