A/C Not Working

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
2004 FV 342. When I turn on the A/C or heat the fan comes on but when the compressor goes to kick on it trips the breaker. I ordered a new solonoid and hope that resolves it. Anyone else ever have this issue or have any ideas? 

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Does the water pump start and does water flow out of the bow through hull?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭✭
    Does the water pump try to kick in at the same time and can you see anything come out from the outflow?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Usually its not the breaker that goes.  I have heard of three things that cause the dreaded breaker trip.
    1.  A bad capacitor.  Or less common a bad wire connection (possible corrosion if in salt) somewhere on the pump or compressor.  Cheap fix.
    2.  A faulty water pump.  I imagine this is a pretty easy DIY repair.
    3.  A bad compressor.  They aren't worth fixing.  You would be looking at a new unit, which are stupid expensive ($3k+).
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    If you need to replace the unit and you are up for DIY I’ve seen 16k BTU units for $1500. Hopefully it’s something simple! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    There's a lot of diagnostics you can do yourself, if you're familiar with the boat's systems. Do a bit of searching - there's at least one step-by-step posted on here.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is air in the water supply line the compressor will either run for a minute or two, then shut-off or not kick-in at all. Have you checked the ground on the breaker. The grounds often loosen on the breakers, causing all sorts of mischief.
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @buggyjdav......this may help. Go to the search box at the top of this page. Type in RE HVAC not pumping water 2007 280EC .....click on that link.....scroll down the page that pops-up. I posted a few entries on that page with pictures of the trouble shooting pages of the AC manual. It was a January 2016 post. Hope that helps!
  • buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Thank you for the suggestions, will be at the boat troubleshooting next week.