Options

Rinker 280 EC Battery Switch Panel Removal

Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
2006 Rinker 280 EC, hoping to modify the wiring a bit so my house battery doesn't go dead every week on the trailer. Part of that includes wiring an MPPT controller inline on a few circuits that will be always on, and removing a few circuits that don't need to run on the trailer (MerCathode, for example). The MPPT controller will shut off the load when the battery gets critical.

Here's my panel: anyone ever pull this one off? Is it a nightmare, or can I remove just the 2 dozen-something outer screws? Any gotchas (like the backside of the bracket will fall down into the bowels of the boat where it can't be reached)?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to remove all of the screws on the outside white area. It is a PITA, but it will come out. Check all connections. I had 3 wires loose behind the battery breaker on my 280.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at all grounds whenever any panel is off. the **** things loosen.
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I should check and tighten all my connections on my 280 as well 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    achristurnerachristurner Member Posts: 2
    Is there an instruction sheet/manual for this panel? Our owner’s manual is very generic and I’m not having any luck searching online.  We have a 2008 276.  Not sure that matters.  We have trouble with killing batteries when we listen to the stereo while tied up. We have to turn the key on to get the power to play the stereo.  I’m sure it’s user error, but this user needs instructions!  
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    @achristurner - welcome to the forum.  We are your owners manual!

Yes, many Rinkers were wired so that you have to turn on the key to play the stereo.  That's normal.  

If your batteries are dying, there are lots of things to consider.  I don't know your boating experience, so I'll keep it generic:

How old are the batteries, and what kind?  If lead acid, have you topped up the water in the battery cells?

Have you replaced the battery charger?  From that we've seen, they tend to last 10-15 years.  I've replaced both of mine in my '07 370.  
  • Options
    achristurnerachristurner Member Posts: 2
    Batteries are new 2021.  We just put a battery tender on the batteries.  By looking at the wiring diagram (I found today) it appears both batteries share all responsibilities.  So we will just turn on one battery while tied up and hopefully the second one will be fine to start up.  Our last boat we could choose 1, 2, both, or off.  We can’t choose which battery to use on this one.  And we’re not sure what the whole 24 hour circuits section to the right is for.  
  • Options
    bella-vitabella-vita Member Posts: 411 ✭✭✭
    The 24 hour circuits are hooked directly to battery! You cannot shut them off
    2002 Rinker FV 342
  • Options
    GrahamuGrahamu Member Posts: 869 ✭✭✭
    The 24 hour circuits are wired direct to your batteries so that they will always operate regardless of the battery switch position.
  • Options
    Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your batteries should not be drained from simply listening to the stereo. I would check and make sure no other high electrical drain systems are running and also make sure you have properly sized batteries and deep cycle. 
    1997 Bayliner 3988
  • Options
    Pat310Pat310 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    @Dude_Himself   When you are using the radio at anchor do you have the key in the on position or the accessory position?  On my boat the radio is connected to the acc on the key switch. If you use the on position it could be why batteries are dying so fast
  • Options
    oscar1oscar1 Member Posts: 740 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a refrigerator in your boat?  If you do, running stereo plus your refrigerator will draw 10 amp which it will bleed off your house battery real quick.