Options

Vessel View Mobil

GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
anyone familiar with the  vessel view mobil install. I hooked this up both lights blink when the key is turned on I entered the serial # for the motor when I try to connect it gives me a error that says unable to complete setup ,key all engine and try again I have a 270 single engine Thanks 

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Did you put a terminator in the open port on the mobile unit? The smartcraft light needs to be solid. Once it is solid, the bluetooth light will go solid when it syncs up.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    That was my guess too.
    Here is some fun reading for you.  Lots of good info in this thread including diagrams on how to hookup twin and single setups.
    https://rinkerboats.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/60945#Comment_60945

• Options
    yes the terminator is on it actually came with one on the unit I removed it and replaced it with the one on my motor with the same results 
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @GMSLITHO - What color is the terminator you have?  the one that is required is yellow.

Like the picture.

2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I still have my VV mobile module from the Beta testing. Haven't used it since. I have my Mercmonitor hooked up instead. Anyone know if I just need a J box to run both at the same time?
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jme097, if you don't want it, a friend of mine with a 260EC might take it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    @GMSLITHO My 04 has the black terminator cap on the engine and it wouldn't set up either. I bought the yellow terminator cap, but haven't been out to mess with it yet.
  • Options
    This Forum is the best
    Thanks all
    I guess Ill hunt down a yellow terminator 
    I knew if I posted the question here I would have better results getting a answer than anywhere else . 
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I had no issues with mine, plugged it up, added the terminator, everything works. I'm not impressed at the limited information available - I was hoping to be able to monitor more real-time, not just when there's faults, but I'll take it.
  • Options
    thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
  • Options
    Thanks just ordered one 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    jme097 said:
    I still have my VV mobile module from the Beta testing. Haven't used it since. I have my Mercmonitor hooked up instead. Anyone know if I just need a J box to run both at the same time?

I still have mine as well, but I only use my vesselview.  There was someone on my dock that wanted the VV mobile (although the admiral said I should feel weird about selling something I got for free).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Not free -- you received it in exchange for providing valuable beta-testing services.  
  • Options
    I bought mine from @LaRea. :-D

• Options
    LaRea said:
    Not free -- you received it in exchange for providing valuable beta-testing services.  
    I stand corrected.  That's what I told the admiral too. :)

• Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    GMSLITHO said:
    Thanks just ordered one 
    Put mine in last night and it fixed the problem.
  • Options
    thanks good news mine should deliver tomorrow 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I had no issues with mine, plugged it up, added the terminator, everything works. I'm not impressed at the limited information available - I was hoping to be able to monitor more real-time, not just when there's faults, but I'll take it.
    Just out of curiosity, what are you specifically looking to monitor real time, that it doesn't do?  I have my page customized to show basically every sensor my boat has. I can see, in real time, oil psi, temps, water psi, ect.....  
  • Options
    I was expecting more like an ODB-II scanner, something where I could look at the live data over time and troubleshoot issues as they occur. Had a no-start situation - the 8.1 shut down on it's own and refused to start. Tried repeatedly for 5-10 minutes, with little breaks to allow the starter to cool and the genny to charge the starting battery. Though to myself "Self, d'oh! Check the VesselView - you'll see what's wrong." Except that when the engine isn't running the values don't update - so it's useless. BTW - VesselView never threw a code or fault, and after enjoying breakfast on the hook the boat turned right over and started with no worries. And THAT worries me!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    One thing to mention 
    mobile view works great if you have a single engine.
    with Twins you either have to move the module from engine to engine lol
    For Twin setup  your basically a screen away from having a dash mounted system 
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I was expecting more like an ODB-II scanner, something where I could look at the live data over time and troubleshoot issues as they occur. Had a no-start situation - the 8.1 shut down on it's own and refused to start. Tried repeatedly for 5-10 minutes, with little breaks to allow the starter to cool and the genny to charge the starting battery. Though to myself "Self, d'oh! Check the VesselView - you'll see what's wrong." Except that when the engine isn't running the values don't update - so it's useless. BTW - VesselView never threw a code or fault, and after enjoying breakfast on the hook the boat turned right over and started with no worries. And THAT worries me!
    Ah I see your point. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    But you should see alarms reported to vessel view when the key is on.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    edited April 2018
    zaverin1 said:
    One thing to mention 
    mobile view works great if you have a single engine.
    with Twins you either have to move the module from engine to engine lol
    For Twin setup  your basically a screen away from having a dash mounted system 

That is incorrect.  It will work on twin engines without having to move from one to the other.

Dude, if you turn the key all the way to the on position, it will update with faults on VesselView. (Oh, that's what Stodge just said too)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    [tap] [tap] [tap] Is this thing working??

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    One unit will work but requires another 300 bucks in splitters and harness t
  • Options
    One unit plugged into one engine will never have the ability to read the other lol
  • Options
    Once the harness is installed it’s ready to be converted from mobile to a dash mounted setup 
  • Options
    zaverin1 said:
    One unit plugged into one engine will never have the ability to read the other lol

One unit, plugged into the correct spot will indeed show both engines.  I have the digital throttle and have a connection in my dash.  I can connect it there and it will show both engines.  I've also connected in my engine room, on one engine, and yes, it does show both engines.  I've done this and so have others on my dock.  We were trying to test the Bluetooth range.  Worked fine in both places and showed both engines.  Maybe you did not have a setting correct?  Now, as far as splitters and such needed, that is possible on some boats, but I know for sure those with DTS will work fine as is.

• Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    I get the same no start on my Merc 383 Stroker and I don't get codes from VV.  To start, I have to put it in nuetral and give it some throttle to start.  I have had 3 techs look at it as it's under warranty and they can't figure it out.  Sure I expected the VV to pick up a code, the techs want to put new cap and wires on it every time.  For me, VV is 2017 tech compared to my 1999 analog gauges. 
  • Options
    2005 you need harness
    throttle by wire yes u can get away with it