Options

If you cross between the US and Canada you might like this.

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭

New Small Boat Reporting Procedures Now In Effect

Release Date: 
April 13, 2018

CBP Introduces a New Smart Phone App for Small Boat Reporting in the Great Lakes and Saint Lawrence River from Buffalo to Ogdensburg

BUFFALO, N.Y. – U.S. Customs and Border Protection has added the Buffalo Field Office to the list of locations now using the new Reporting Offsite Arrival-Mobile (ROAM) application for small boat reporting. 

CBP Air and Marine Operations vessel on Great Lakes patrol
CBP Air and Marine Operations vessel
on Great Lakes patrol

The new app replaces the system of Outlying Area Reporting Stations (OARS), which were outdated and challenging to access. Small boaters in the Great Lakes and Saint Lawrence regions will now be able to complete their inspection with a CBP officer through an app on a smart phone device, or at one of the new ROAM reporting locations, which will have the reporting app loaded on an iPad.

The ROAM app allows small boaters the flexibility of either reporting their arrival into the U.S. from any location. The ROAM app is available in the Apple and Android stores. The ROAM app enables a video conference with CBP officers located at the Ogdensburg port of entry.

“This technology is a step in the right direction for the boating community as well as for our officers processing these types of arrivals,” said Alexandria Bay Area Port Director Timothy Walker. “Having the clarity of high definition video, coupled with the traveler’s information from the application is strengthening border security while facilitating legitimate travel and commerce.”

Small boaters can construct a profile within the application, and submit their information for a CBP video conference when crossing the U.S. border. Traveler information can be easily saved with the app, or recreated for future crossings.

CBP encourages boaters to take advantage of the ROAM app on their smart phone devices.

Travelers in possession of a Nexus Card or I-68 can still report their arrival by calling 1-800-827-2851 – or use the new ROAM app.

If travelers arriving by boat have any questions about reporting their arrival to CBP, contact the local port of entry or call 1-800-827-2851.

Source https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/new-small-boat-reporting-procedures-now-effect

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    RustySRustyS Member Posts: 83 ✭✭

This affects my summer boating as we quite often make the trek over to CA.

But, to be honest, we have never reported back "IN" on the US side. Biggest reason is the nearest station to check in would add 2-3 hours (in calm waters) travel time as we are usually crossing the Eastern end of Lake Ontario from Kingston. More times than not we are experiencing anywhere from 3'-6' waves making the cross; it mysteriously just works out that way.....regrettably!

With this new APP I'm sure myself and many others will become more obedient to the CBP laws. I have to say Great Idea to the CBP and others for this!

Now, if Canada would make the reporting in as easy......a guy can wish can't he?

• Options
    @RustyS Reporting into Canada is very easy.  You go to a phone when you dock, make a call, provide your registration numbers from your boat, answer the standard questions (how long will you be here, reason, guns?)  and your done.

Checking back into the US has always been the challenge.  If you have a Nexus card checking back into the US is a phone call as well.  Although this app will make it easier too.

Not to be a wet blanket, but getting caught not checking back into the US can cost you a hefty fee and seizure of your boat.  

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    We boat the 1000 islands region of the St Lawrence River.  I admit, if you're going to some Canadian town, it's no big deal to check in.  We love to just go out and anchor in various bays of the islands.  To do that amongst the Canadian Islands it means going many miles to a Canadian shore to use that phone, then back out the the island bay just to spend a few hours.  Not worth it.  As such we stay around the US islands, where the Canadians anchor amongst us, and just call the US CBP on their cell phones.
  • Options

@Stodge: we are very familiar with the reporting upon arrival to Canada. We do the process each and every time whether it is at Confederation Basin, on the Rideau @ Kingston Mills, or Gananoque, Rockport, Brockville, etc. There was an incident in the St Lawrence River a few years back that made international news and caused all fishing and recreational vessels take notice and obey. I do not EVER play that game.

My point was if Canada could make reporting in as easy it would help a lot! There are a group of Islands halfway to Kingston in CA waters in Lake Ontario: Main Duck Island is one of the CA Provincial park islands. It's a sweet spot, but for us to use legally it would require going all the way to Kingston, then return. That's a lot of boating on Lake O. If they had an APP or other method the visits would be much easier. This summer we expect to be doing our boating along the St Lawrence River rather than the canals. Looking forward to visiting the Provincial Islands, marinas, and an occasional overnight on the hook in a secluded island bay.

Also am aware of the failure to report back in to US penalties, fines, etc. As stated, when we cross Lake O the nearest Port of Entry is Cape Vincent; quite a PITA and out of our way. We are fortunate to have never been caught. The APP will cause this outlaw to now be a law abiding citizen!

• Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    Like the idea of existing Nexus/I-68 holders can use the app now.

I've had some funny run-ins with border patrol over the years. If you are super nice - usually works out well. We boat in the US probably 1/3rd of the time.

I'm born half CDN & half US anyway. Pretty harmless. Vanilla really.....

When we return to Canada the return phone call in is pretty funny. Got any guns? Currency over $10K?
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    RustyS said:

@Stodge: we are very familiar with the reporting upon arrival to Canada. We do the process each and every time whether it is at Confederation Basin, on the Rideau @ Kingston Mills, or Gananoque, Rockport, Brockville, etc. There was an incident in the St Lawrence River a few years back that made international news and caused all fishing and recreational vessels take notice and obey. I do not EVER play that game.

My point was if Canada could make reporting in as easy it would help a lot! There are a group of Islands halfway to Kingston in CA waters in Lake Ontario: Main Duck Island is one of the CA Provincial park islands. It's a sweet spot, but for us to use legally it would require going all the way to Kingston, then return. That's a lot of boating on Lake O. If they had an APP or other method the visits would be much easier. This summer we expect to be doing our boating along the St Lawrence River rather than the canals. Looking forward to visiting the Provincial Islands, marinas, and an occasional overnight on the hook in a secluded island bay.

Also am aware of the failure to report back in to US penalties, fines, etc. As stated, when we cross Lake O the nearest Port of Entry is Cape Vincent; quite a PITA and out of our way. We are fortunate to have never been caught. The APP will cause this outlaw to now be a law abiding citizen!

Sounds like your border issues are more complicated than ours.  Lake St. Clair is 1/3 US and 2/3 Canadian but there aren't many islands without phones.  Pesch at the mouth of the Detroit River comes to mind but there is a marina about a 1/4 mile away.  Most times going to Canada by boat for us is a trip to one or more Canadian marinas.  Makes call in easy.

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll check with my nephew he is a CBP agent. I "think" the CBP (Canadian Border Patrol) accepts Nexus by phone or is in the process of doing so. I'll ask him.
    Please do come and visit Canada. You should receive a 25-30% premium on your money. Brockville, Gananoque, Treasure Island, Kingston, Picton, Belleville and Trenton (a new amazing marina) all have marinas and cities with a lot to do. That stretch of the river on the Canadian side has many beautiful islands and excellent marinas. 
  • Options
    @Michael T I've always checked in by phone upon arrival at a marina.  They were less than excited about a phone call from a cell phone at a more remote location but that may have changed.  

On our trip to the North Channel last year we checked in (by phone) at Gore Bay.  The only time I saw a customs officer on that trip was in Little Current where I was asked to display my check-in number in the window.  Come to think of it that may be the only time we've seen a Canadian customs officer when traveling by boat.

• Options

Yes MT; I believe the Canadian Border Patrol does accept the Nexus by phone for entry. I haven't gone through the steps and received the Nexus. Don't feel it would work for me as we more often than not have other guests on board that would require the standard reporting procedure.

And, I'm pretty sure you are aware, the CBP referenced above was the United States CBP; or Customs Border Protection.

The 3 letters quite often get confusing when engaging in conversation I have learned.

• Options
    An added benefit of Nexus is TSA-pre.  Can come in handy if you fly.

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
    I got stopped just last Fall for a safety check by the US Coast Guard near Picton Island (near Clayton).  It was part of a joint program where boat is manned by both US and Canadian officers which allows them to stop boats on either side of the border.  They were very polite, by the way.

Anyway, I specifically asked the Canadian Officer about the policy of me anchoring in her waters and she said, unfortunately we are still required to go to shore and make that phone call on one of their special phones before anchoring.  No calling in from cell phone like Canadians coming into US.
  • Options
    @Spyderweb Correct.  If you "make landfall" on the other side of the border you have entered the country.  Landfall includes anchoring, docking, or even rafting up to an anchored boat.  

• Options
    thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Speaking of crossing to Canada.. Is crossing Erie from Cleveland to Canada in a 270 a reasonably safe thing to do?
  • Options
    @thepriceisright With Lake Erie you have to pick your days, but otherwise I'd say sure it's safe.  People run from here to PIB in that and smaller.  Just check the marine forecast ahead of time and have a safe trip.