Bridle for Anchor Chain

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'll be installing a new anchor chain and rode this season, it has 50 feet of 1/4" chain and 150 feet of rope. For a rope bridle I've always used a Prusik knot on a line. The 50' of chain on the new rode is plenty long enough for a lot of our anchor spots, 4 to 6 feet deep, even with a good scope so want to build a chain bridle with a clevis hook. I was able to find one as below, but in 5/16".
Questions: will the 1/6" make a difference? I'm thinking no, the chain will be locked in anyway.
Is the lock tab a nuisance in case I ever need to get the bridle off quickly, or I'm seeing it as a positive feature to keep the chain from dropping out of a regular open clevis?

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    OK I give up.  What's this for?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you need 50 foot of chain for 6 feet?? 50 feet is what I use out in the gulf of Mexico in 70 feet of water. Seems massive overkill to me .
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Stodge said:
    OK I give up.  What's this for?

Stodge, I'm assuming for something like this.  I would think the extra 1/16" would not matter. 

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bingo @Dream_Inn.
    And a good rule of thumb is a scope of 7 to 1 for good anchor set. So 7 feet of water is 49 feet of chain. If its just a short stop of course I won't bother. But for an overnight I would .
    The rode I bought just happened to be rigged with 50 feet of chain. The line should last me forever as it may hardly ever see the windlass.
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Willhound said:
    And a good rule of thumb is a scope of 7 to 1 for good anchor set. So 7 feet of water is 49 feet of chain. .
    Actually, 49' of chain would give you a scope of less than 5:1.

7' of water depth + 4' above the water surface = 11' of total height above seabed.
    7:1 scope requires 77' of anchor rode.

In 7' of water, 49' of chain will hold fine in most situations.  But if you have other boats tied to you, and you are expecting weather, you'll want to put out at least 80'.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stand corrected Gentlemen. Was forgetting distance to waterline. My thought on 7:1 was generally correct?
    Is the bridle idea using that hook a good one? The hook, I mean. I already recognize the need and use a bridle.
    So you need 50 foot of chain for 6 feet?? 50 feet is what I use out in the gulf of Mexico in 70 feet of water. Seems massive overkill to me .
    The pre-made chain/line rodes commonly come with 50 feet of chain.

I have a safety cable in the windlass locker.  Basically it's a 18 inch (roughly) steel cable with a loop at each end.  I secure one end to the cleat in the locker and the other end has a stainless steel snap link.  If the anchor is up, or I have only chain out I put the safety cable on.  Other than being attached in the center it's basically the same thing.

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    edited April 2018

Actually @LaRea , your calculations are correct if attached to your windlass. If it is attached using a bridle, it lowers that attached point closer to the water and gives a reduced angle (better pull) on your anchor.  The picture I attached doesn't really show it, but the further back you attach the two points, the lower that attached point to your rode can be.  On mine, it attaches right above the water line (within inches), so technically, I only have to use the depth for my 7:1 (but I always put more out than needed).

Oh, and Willhound, I think your idea is good.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express