Options

303 fabric guard sealer on 342 camper & bimini

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought my camper top and Bimini top brand new from TJ spring of 2016. Sunbrella only, not the vinyl coated sunbrella (I am not a fan of the coated). Anyway they have been awesome for two seasons but last season i had a little dripping during heavy rain just where the bar hits the middle of the camper top. Decided to 303 them this spring. Did a light wash first by hand, air dry, and then sealed. Bought two 16 oz spray bottles on amazon for a total of $23 delivered. They were just enough to do both tops thoroughly along with the trim rope pieces that go in the track, I left them zipped on for sealing. Just an FYI for 342 owners that 32 oz is all ya need! 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If I recall 303 is what Sunbrella recommends.  I give mine a spray after they go to the laundromat for their spring cleaning.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spray my tops twice a season. Once in the spring and once halfway through the summer. I get the gallon size on Amazon and I use a pump up garden sprayer. It's easier on your hands and cheaper in the long run.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Think I may go Laundramat next time @Stodge

wow Greg you are committed, i had thought that we need to re treat every couple of years, twice a season seems like a lot. It does protect from uv so in the long run you’ll be in good shape! 

• Options
    It protects from UV and it keeps the water beading all season long. It might be excessive, but I would rather have the water bead off than soak into the fabric.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Think I may go Laundramat next time @Stodge

wow Greg you are committed, i had thought that we need to re treat every couple of years, twice a season seems like a lot. It does protect from uv so in the long run you’ll be in good shape! 
    I use Dreft and a cap full of bleach.  Wash on gentle and take home to air dry.

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    What about the eisenglass...do you have to protect that somehow when applying?
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    None of the glass is attached to the bimini or camper.  I store the glass flat in the cabin.  It gets cleaned with 210 (Plexus clone).  

• Options
    edited April 2018
    skennelly said:
    What about the eisenglass...do you have to protect that somehow when applying?
    303 fabric guard is only for the tops like Stodge said, just for sunbrella. I think 303 makes something else for eisenglass. For the eisenglass I swear by this product. Cleans, conditions, protects and takes out small scratches:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meguiar-s-Plast-X-Clear-Plastic-Cleaner-and-Polish/16550253

• Options
    I read somewhere to clean the eisenglass with denatured alcohol and protect it with pledge.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    jmichelsjmichels Member Posts: 311 ✭✭
    cable greg do not use pledge . worst thing you can ever do. will turn yellow and brown when sun hits it
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    303 does make a version for eisenglass. I couldn't find it locally, used "Klear-to-Sea" this year and it worked fantastik. Cleaned it up and put a nice shine on, even took out some light scratches. NO to Pledge.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    jmichels said:
    cable greg do not use pledge . worst thing you can ever do. will turn yellow and brown when sun hits it
    Thank you!!! Good to know!
    Go Steelers!!!