Options

Effect of Spray Paint on Nylon rode

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Seen a few threads on marking off depth lines on Nylon anchor rode. Any concerns with the solvents in spray paint affecting the nylon?

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t think so but I used electrical tape every 10 feet and sealed the seam with shoe goo. Has worked well for many years. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    @shawnmjr if thought about using those also, easy to install.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Great for 3 strand, but I'm running 8 plait, I am also thinking about painting.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    shawnmjr said:
    I think I’m gonna try these out this year and see how they do. 
    I've been using them for 15 years, and they work great.  I think my 342 still had the originals when I sold the boat after 10 years.  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jhofmann said:
    Great for 3 strand, but I'm running 8 plait, I am also thinking about painting.
    I have 8 plait and was still able to run tags through like what Shawn posted. I made my own though from the admirals work out stretch bands!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been just using black tape every 20'. The windless does chew it up after two years, just retape. I did buy some dye years ago to dye some sections maybe I should look in the garage since the boat is on dry land.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Liberty44140, I will take a closer look at my line as soon as I uncover it. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where I boat, the water isn't deep enough to put the tags on the anchor rode, so I painted the chain. I alternated red and yellow at 10 foot intervals.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is 8 plait also. Just remembered I have several rolls of multi coloured tape in the garage. Think I'll use that on the rode. Will probably still use paint every 10 feet on the 50 foot chain though.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I did it every 20 feet

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Looking to mark my rode before I put it back having taken it off to clean and soften up. Mine is also 8 plait and as most of these say only for the 3 strand yet a few of you have used on 8 plait. Any feedback from you guys aiming to do this around this time last year?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Worked great for me, I used a spike to help drive the tags through the 8 plait. Has held great for two summers now, I did them every 20 feet and we usually anchor in 8 ft of water so the admiral just knows to put out 2 tags 

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭✭
    You made yours, similar to the West Marine ones? No issues back through windless and into locker?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    I've thought about this almost each year, but then I just never do it.  I guess I usually just go by the angle I have.  I should definitely just do it though for how simple it is and knowing what you have.

It does bring me to a quick little story I have from anchoring out this past weekend.  On Easter Sunday, when we were pulling anchor up to leave, it seemed like my windlass was struggling a bit.  Or at least it seemed like I was having a tougher time than usual riding over the line and pulling it up.  I had my son go to the bow finally to guide me where the rode was.  Upon finally getting the anchor out the water, he yelled stop!!!  He said, you have to come see this.  I was only imagining what could be on the end of the line!!  Well, no, not a shark or alligator or anything that exciting.  But, hooked on my anchor was another chain.  

I knew I was in an area that nothing should've been laying on the bottom.  So, I got another line, wrapped it around that chain, and moved it back to the swim platform.  It was extremely nasty, full of bottom muck.  Got a bag, started pulling it up with my son on one and I was pulling the other end.  I finally pulled up a large Danforth anchor.  My son, well, he finally got to the end of the chain.  All in all, it was over 60 ft of chain with a Danforth that would be large enough to be my bow anchor.  Kind of a strange find.  Since I already have 3 anchors on my boat, I'm going to see if my dock neighbor, who has a 420 Rinker may want it as a great spare and stern anchor.  Just need to add a little line to it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    icoultha said:
    You made yours, similar to the West Marine ones? No issues back through windless and into locker?
    Yep, wife has those workout bands so I cut strips off of the end and used that as rage through the 8 plait. All good in windlass 

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    I use colored zip ties. I mark them very 10' with a different color at 5' so I know when to slow down. I have an all chain rode and they go through the windless without an issue
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spray painted 20’ marks on my old rode. Zero detrimental affects after several years.  

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI