Options

How do you get a warranty on a boat motor you won at an auction?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
Picked up this little honda 2 hp 4 stroke at a silent auction today for 370 bucks.. don't have an official receipt, just one from the charity.  Anyone ever try to register a motor they won at an auction for warranty purposes? 

I've currently got a mercury 4hp 2 stoke that will be up for sale soon as it just doesn't fit nicely in my 270's seat. Hoping this honda will fit nicely and provide years of slow boating in the inflatable :) and I just couldn't resist the price.. it was the opening bid!! 
Post edited by J3ff on

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    lol it's air cooled, so don't even need a garbage can..will get it running this week. Gotta love the plastic prop 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Call or write Honda with the serial number and see what they say. They will be able to tell you where it was originally sold and when and their warranty terms. I have the same model outboard. I traded a 4hp Merc for it plus got some cash. Much better for my 7' Zodiac, and easy starting typical of Hondas. It's quite a bit noisier and less powerful, but a heck of a lot easier to manhandle. One other issue is the housing bolts Honda uses tend to rust badly in salt air.

Andy
  • Options
    andyd said:
    Call or write Honda with the serial number and see what they say. They will be able to tell you where it was originally sold and when and their warranty terms. I have the same model outboard. I traded a 4hp Merc for it plus got some cash. Much better for my 7' Zodiac, and easy starting typical of Hondas. It's quite a bit noisier and less powerful, but a **** of a lot easier to manhandle. One other issue is the housing bolts Honda uses tend to rust badly in salt air.

Andy
    Thank Andy, 
     Yeah, I don't really expect much out of it, I like that it's air cooled and was thinking of getting a 3hp Mercury or something of that nature so it would actually fit in the rear seat.. the 4hp is just a pain because it's big. I also have a few nieces and nephews that are 5 and 6 years old, so sooner or later it'll be time to start teaching them how to drive...figure this little motor will be better to teach them with..

One thing I can't figure out is if honda still sells this motor or not? Seems like they went to a 2.3. Don't even know the year as nothing but the motor was included.  
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I believe the current offering is a 2.3hp. If I had that extra .3hp I might get on plane! :D:D I like the simplicity of this model, and not having to flush is nice, just wash it down with a hose. Light enough to carry on my shoulder. No reverse, but you just spin it around. Lots of YouTube videos about this little gem.

Andy
  • Options
    Yup- loving the idea so far, will see what it does when used.  It's passed the first test, fits into the rear seat with plenty of room to spare, there's two fenders towards the stern and two rear anchors (slide anchor and box anchor) in as well.. the 4hp merc had to have everything removed and barely fit..