Options

Top cleaning FAIL!

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just as we like to boast of our successes I'm also not afraid to share an epic fail if it acts as an aid to someone else. Spent a few hours scrubbing my canvas with my trusty car wash brush and mild detergent. Looked fabulous until they dried and I could see in the sun that my old brush is starting to deteriorate and left a haze of blue particles all over the black top. :s
Going to try and vacuum them off and start again....
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    You are more aggressive than I am with the canvas.  I take it to a laundromat and wash it with Dreft and a cap full of bleach.  Then it comes home to air dry and get a coating of 303.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    I have the main top piece in the dryer now on air fluff with some dryer sheets. If that doesn't take it out I just might do the same. But I have to hand wash the pieces with eisenglass in them anyway.
  • Options
    Ah, my eisenglass pieces are all separate.  

• Options
    Doesn't look like Dreft is aeasily available in Canada. If I machine wash them maybe I'll use Ivory Snow baby detergent. Look like the same idea.
  • Options
    Yeah same thing.  Woolite is another option.  Basically any mild detergent.  I add bleach to deal with the mold that likes to grow over the season.

• Options
    The dryer helped a bit, not much. Got a bunch more with a hand vac. Want to at least get the main top piece cleaned and treated with Aerospace so I can install it tomorrow. It stays up all year as a sun shade. The rest of the pieces I can do after launch if I run out of time as I take them off and on regularly.
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I hang mine in the back yard and hit it gently with a soap blaster and laundry soap, then rinse a few times and let hang dry.
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Putting the bimini top in the laundromat wash wont harm it?  That sounds a lot easier than my way.  I also get mold on the underside. 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I've done if for 4 seasons now.  I use a commercial washer on the most gentle setting it has.  I air dry it at home when it's done.  I may be doing some harm, but as yet haven't seen signs of it.

I've heard that putting 303 on the inside surface of the top can help prevent mold too.