Advice on leak

buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
Looking for advice. 2004 342 FV with twin Merc 350 Horizons with Bravo 3's, mechanic advised me there is a leak in both steering arms where they come through the transom. Last year I noticed the bilge pump would come on every so often so now it makes sense. This year every few hours it will come on and pump water out. The mechanic told me it will be OK for the season as it will not leak much when sitting in the slip. Looking for advice on repair. He said he recommends doing a whole transom job rather than just the steering arms. Thoughts on cost and any recommendations

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the pins need to be replaced with the stainless steel version. Yes the leak may be small at times and keep an eye on it. There is a way to replace without pulling the drive. I think its JR Marine. On you tube. Your mechanic probably wont do it. So yes, the whole drive needs to be removed and done right. 
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    There is also a merc approved repair method which most merc certified mechanics hate. They would rather remove the engine. Unless he noticed alot of issues with the transom assembly I wouldn' do the whole thing. I did a write up on here on the Jr repair method which may be helpful. It worked beautifully. If you have alot of slop in your steering and play in the drive you will likely need a new gimbal ring or steering arm or both. Might as well do your bellows, gimbal bearing and shift cable while you're in there if you are due.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    I have had that same problem on both my drives about 4 years apart. I have to have the engines pulled and the entire transom assembly replaced. On mine I did not know it was leaking so the water froze in the winter and caused fiberglass damage.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • summerxsummerx Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    They replaced both of my steering pins last year for the same reason.  the rest of my transom assembly/gimble were fine, so I went that route.  I had it done at baltimore boating center.
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Either of the pin replacement methods need to have drive removed. You can’t pull the pin and seal with drive in place. 

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm rebuilding mine now-got a ss steering pin for 55 bucks off ebay- bellows , bearing and shift cable already done (300 parts), think all the rest of the seals, new mercathode, two trim hoses ( don't ask), trim senders about 350 including the pin and pretty much all eBay. Merc list the steering pin for 400 and that's not stainless! Hate to not support merc but geesh! I will put the out drive on and dunk before the motor goes back in. Good luck with yours- agree while the motor is out do the other stuff unless you have the service history its about 600 bucks to have a motor pulled so don't do it to often!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Both of my steering pins drip, noticed it just after having full transom kits done so I’m waiting to have it all re done again. Only leaks when people are in the cockpit, I get a pint or three a weekend. Transome cutouts are glassed so it’s not really hurting anything. I make sure to vaccum the bilge every couple of weeks. I’m sure you are fine for this season but you may want to consider adding a backup bilge pump in the engine room. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• buggyjdavbuggyjdav Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    Thank you for all the help, this is a great community
    Is there such a thing as inspecting the coupler while the motor is out? Would you be able to tell if it were about to fail?
    Ps- bellows does not require the engine pulled so you could split that cost up over time....drives have to be pulled but that's 30 mins...
    rasbury said:
    Is there such a thing as inspecting the coupler while the motor is out? Would you be able to tell if it were about to fail?
    Based on what I was told when mine failed is that you can not inspect the rubber but you can inspect the teeth with the motor out. Are the teeth worn down? Believe they should be square and not rounded. 

But its the rubber that fails as it all come apart? I had mine done for 1200, think the part was 350 or so? If no known service history....
    When mine went it was he teeth, zipppppp and they went!

so what fails on the coupler, the spine or the rubber around it? And I guess if you strike something under water, it is designed to fail like a coupler in a bravo II would do? Just a heck of a lot more expensive!
  • ALLFORARIALLFORARI Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    I had Gimbal Bearings, Gimbal Ring, Shift Cables, and Bellows replaced last year to the tune of 800$ after labor on my 342. I was getting new ODs so this was the cost to add onto work already being completed.  Better to have it done right so it doesn't get worse.  Water leaking into your boat is never a good thing.  Mechanic may be right it will last the season but if he is wrong and it comes faster could cause more damage and money spent.
    ALLFORARI said:
    I had Gimbal Bearings, Gimbal Ring, Shift Cables, and Bellows replaced last year to the tune of 800$ after labor on my 342. I was getting new ODs so this was the cost to add onto work already being completed.  Better to have it done right so it doesn't get worse.  Water leaking into your boat is never a good thing.  Mechanic may be right it will last the season but if he is wrong and it comes faster could cause more damage and money spent.
    $800 for all of that for twin engines? You got the deal of the century. 

• thepriceisrightthepriceisright Member Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Seriously. I’m at almost $3k for all that. 
  • craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    He must be mistaken.  The gimbal ring alone new is $800 for one drive.  I was at about 3k on a twin setup for a new gimbal ring on one drive, jr marine swivel repair w/ SS pin on one drive, bellows/shift cable/bearing both drives, fixing a broken trim ram shaft, upper drive seal on one drive, and replacing a ujoint.  I thought 3k was decent...