Options

Bimini top no longer fits with eisenglass

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Over the past season, my Bimini tops were impossible to put on while using eisenglass.  They are to the point now where after pulling so much, the part that wraps around the Bimini rails, the stitching needs repair from tearing.  I have left my eisnenglass out in the sun to see if that helps and still very difficult.  What would have caused this all of a sudden and what can I do?  I am taking the Biminis in for repair, should I have them add fabric to the part that wraps out round the Bimini rails?

I apprecite the help.  My camper is almost useless right now which is a problem.  
Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    when I first got the boat the PO used those snap extensions on the cockpit cover   by the transom ........ well it rained for a week and once the cover got went and it was really wet I was able to pull it so the factory snaps finally reached .Maybe you could take it off the frame and soak it for a day or two  and try to stretch it back    
  • Options
    dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭

Same problem here. I think mine shrunk when I washed them and let them dry out on the lawn. I should have put hem back on when they were wet as I done every time before.

I was thinking the same in having the furthest aft bimini pocket made larger.

Let me know how your repair comes out.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    I've also had good success with using a hair dryer on the isinglass to help stretch it a bit.  Definitely a warm day (which we haven't had much) is a big help.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought new windshield connector and side windows last year and never thought they would fit after first trying them.  I used extension snaps to make it work and once it warmed up and we got a few nice hot days it fit with no problem.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    @Dream_Inn we have not had much of that. 

I will try the extenders. Are this the one you have used with success @skennelly  

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    @06Rinker270 - Yeah I used one's just like that.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Im having this same problem on mine lol. I need to invest badly
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Last year I bought a cheap sewing machine and re stitched all the seams and replaced 2 zippers it really wasn't to hard, I tried to stitch some binding edge on vinyl flooring but that was not as easy so I sent that to a professional to do  
  • Options
    I sewed mine this past winter as well.  Just used the admirals machine (after pulling out of the box in the closet - LOL - yes, doesn't get used much).  I resewed a bunch of it and so far it looks good!

• Options
    I was thinking of sewing mine as well but I thought that required a larger machine than just your house hold sewing machine?  What thread did you use?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Admiral has done her share of canvas repairs. She uses UV stabilized thread that has stretch capability. She says it is readily available at any sewing shop. If I were looking at a number of repairs I might add some of the neat bungee type fasteners that Taylor Made  (for example) has been putting on Rinkers for a number of years. These allow the canvas to expand and more important contract without breaking seams, damaging zippers or spider-cracking gel coat at the screw-in snaps. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I do all of my own canvas repair work on my moms industrial sewing machine. Awesome to be able to re stitch, patch, etc, made cockpit carpet last year. Anyway back to the original question, do your Bimini and camper tops have that horrible vinyl coating on the under side? If so that is the problem, it shrinks (along with cracking and mildewing). I’ve replaced mine with sunbrella only tops. Those extenders posted above are awesome, know lots of folks that swear by them. If all of your pieces are in good condition then your other option to those snap extenders are zipper extenders. They do make and sell them for issues like yours. 

https://www.canvas-boat-cover-and-repair-advisor.com/ez-xtend-boat-zippers.html

07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options

Patrick, a household sewing machine will work fine.  The only parts that it won't is if you are trying to actually sew thru the isinglass (which is very thick, although the right needle may let it work).  As far as thread, as MT mentioned a UV one is best.  I went with what I had at the time since I was just doing several spots here and there.  I'm glad I don't have to deal with a canvas top anymore!

• Options
    @Michael T and @Dream_Inn thank you for the sewing tips.  I just might have to try and tackle this myself.  I love that the camper enclosure is there but what a PITA.      

@Liberty44140 that is a great wealth of information, thank you.  I think the zipper extenders might just be my ticket.  Yes, they have that vinyl underside and I have to clean it every other year even and I keep it stored indoors during the winter. 

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270