Options

Hydraulic or Electric Tabs

The other day my trim tabs stopped working. I lifted the hatch and found all the hydraulic oil was gone.  My guess is the hose came off the cylinder and leaked out.  My service shop just called and told me they recommend upgrading to electric tabs.  I find that odd because the boat is still in the water and most likely the hose came off the tab.  Can someone shed some light on this for me.  My boat is a 2001 340,  the trim tabs looked fine last time I had the boat out and worked perfectly fine until the fluid leaked out.  Help me out with the pros and cons.  They quoted me around $700 for new electric ones installed.  
2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    My 342 came with electric.  I added electric tabs to my center console when I decided it needed them.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I have no experience with hydraulic, but I've been using electric tabs for 20+ years.  They are simple, affordable and reliable.  The only failure I've ever had was an actuator that failed after 9 years because a seal went bad.  Replacing it was easy.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I’ve has both Bennett hydraulic and now Lenco electric. Tough call. I like electric better because of dealing with hydro fluid but Bennett’s service is far superior to Lenco, Lenco has zero customer service 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    Electric trim tabs ordered.  Be here Friday, so looks like I am going to miss another weekend.  UGH Memorial weekend is creeping up and I'm starting to get nervous.
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down