Options

48 foot liveaboard?

J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭✭✭
Been thinking about doing this for a while.. down south. Getting a little closer, dock limit will be 48 ft..  any specific models stand out? $250,000 or less.. 

Doesn't need a guest room - would prob turn that into a small office/computer room.. 

Does need a separate shower, washer drier a plus. 

Something like this - http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/12464 

or for Handy http://www.powerboatlistings.com/view/49000 ha ha

Comments

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That fly bridge will certainly give you more very comfortable quarters and better secured- I'm sure that is a nice boat! No mrs jf33 to consider in this sort of move?
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    edited April 2018
    How will you use it?  Anchored live-aboard?  Great Loop cruiser?  Bahamas island hopper?  Three very different sets of requirements!  

That Silverton is nice, but they can be had for half the price [edit: maybe I exaggerated, but can be had for less!] if you find a motivated seller and you don't mind doing a little work.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LaRea said:
    How will you use it?  Anchored live-aboard?  Great Loop cruiser?  Bahamas island hopper?  Three very different sets of requirements!  

That Silverton is nice, but they can be had for half the price [edit: maybe I exaggerated, but can be had for less!] if you find a motivated seller and you don't mind doing a little work.  
    The plan is it'll be 1.2 miles from my job ;) a part time job down there will have a few boats to choose from to go for cruises and such, just assume this would be a home during the week, and possibly on long weekends it'll head somewhere in the keys... will be a dock w/ power water and cable. 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    That fly bridge will certainly give you more very comfortable quarters and better secured- I'm sure that is a nice boat! No mrs jf33 to consider in this sort of move?
    No mrs. yet, but I've got a feeling it'll sneak up on me right after moving in!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what is the job that works with this dream set up?
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod
    42 jefferson

I actually agree with Handy.  The older Jefferson can be a nice size boat for a decent price. 

The 480 SeaRay Motoryacht is very roomy and can be had for easily under $200k if you look around.  This is one I had thought about when buying my current boat.  But, you will be going up and down stairs quite a bit.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    Motor yachts will definitey give you the most room but they tend to look like sneakers and are not that seaworthy. We were/are looking at sportfishers in the 48 range. I like Viking, post, and Ocean Yacht (later years to avoid the hull issues).  We want space indoor and outdoor, and speed. With that said I also looked at some MYs. I really liked Searays 48my. 
    Lots of great spacious trawlers out there too. 
  • Options
    Carver makes some nice ones too
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    I had an older Caver. Very nice boat. Well made and Carver did not waste any space. Every little nook and cranny served a purpose.......... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    rasbury said:
    So what is the job that works with this dream set up?
    A few simultaneous jobs, some part time and one full time at the same time all during different parts of the year.. property management, captain/mate, technology education, trip/event planning .. :) 
  • Options
    Motor yachts will definitey give you the most room but they tend to look like sneakers and are not that seaworthy. We were/are looking at sportfishers in the 48 range. I like Viking, post, and Ocean Yacht (later years to avoid the hull issues).  We want space indoor and outdoor, and speed. With that said I also looked at some MYs. I really liked Searays 48my. 
    Lots of great spacious trawlers out there too. 
    Def. doesn't need to leave the dock, honestly if I could find one without engines that would be even better! 
  • Options
    I do prop management
  • Options
    I do prop management
    It's a good gig, as long as it's for the right people!! 
  • Options
    Have a look at the Carver 506.  Enclosed flybridge, nice galley with a stand-up fridge, huge living spaces.

Example:
    http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2000-carver-506-motor-yacht-103266166/?refSource=standard listing 
  • Options
    No lie.  Zero canvas, microwave convection oven, lighted cedar closets ...  

One thing I've heard about tall, heavy boats like this is that stability can be an issue.  In other words, some of them roll a lot.  Sure, it weighs 25 tons, but how much does it roll when you walk from port to starboard?  Just something to consider and compare when you start visiting boats.