Options

Air temperature sensor

LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
Does anybody have a sensor on the boat for [outdoor] air temperature?  Which one, where did you mount the sensor, and how well does it work?

I'm looking at this one from Yacht Devices.  Should be plug and play with my Raymarine system.
https://yachtdevicesus.com/products/humidity-sensor-ydhs-01?variant=6391063445546
Post edited by LaRea on

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is that so important?
  • Options
    Only because I'm a data geek.  I don't "need" it, I want it. 
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    I have one attached to my VesselView. Installed it under dash panel out of direct sunlight. 
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    I have an ambient temperature sensor that is through my smartcraft harness for my Merc Monitor
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    Inside the helm is one spot I'm considering, but I have a lot of heat-producing electronics up there.  Also, I don't want the humidity sensor to be totally enclosed.  Maybe I'll mount it under the helm seat.  
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    That'd be nice to have, and one that combined with water temp would be awesome. I wish I had that sometimes, just to see the water temp for swimming in different parts of the lake.
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    JoeStang said:
    That'd be nice to have, and one that combined with water temp would be awesome. I wish I had that sometimes, just to see the water temp for swimming in different parts of the lake.
    We were at Metro and the Clinton this last Sunday.   Water was between 45 and 52 depending on where you were.   

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Yeesh.  It's 60-63 here in the Potomac. 

Before I get underway, I enter the water and air temps in my logbook, but the air temp is a wild guess.  So I'm getting that temperature sensor.  Because I am a spoiled brat.  Not afraid to admit it in public.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would also love to have water and air temps.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Stodge said:
    JoeStang said:
    We were at Metro and the Clinton this last Sunday.   Water was between 45 and 52 depending on where you were.   
    Yeah, in Goose bay yesterday I guessed it by 50* or so. Thats my very scientifically calibrated toe that told me to GTFO and dont even think about jumping in. LOL
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goose Bay is coooooold all year with one month of summer that produces legendary mosquitos,black flies, horse flies deer flies............
  • Options
    Haha that can be true, but its still a nice quiet spot on the right days. No bugs out there yesterday..... :p
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    My air temperature sensor is behind my helm but almost at the floor @LaRea. Reads pretty accurate

Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Michael T said:
    Goose Bay is coooooold all year with one month of summer that produces legendary mosquitos,black flies, horse flies deer flies............
    Are we talking about the same Goose Bay?  The one here is on the East side of Lake St. Clair.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL.....good catch Ray.....I thought maybe Joe had done some travelling. Moose hunting?
  • Options
    Michael T said:
    LOL.....good catch Ray.....I thought maybe Joe had done some travelling. Moose hunting?
    Haha, no Moose hunting for me. That's winter stuff in the UP, summer is spent in the murder mitten. :D

MT I thought you had wandered up here in Lake St Clair, and the small Goose bay here is kinda known for flies (in my experience). Sounds like your Goose bay is in the Canadia, eh?
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Yeesh.  It's 60-63 here in the Potomac. 

Before I get underway, I enter the water and air temps in my logbook, but the air temp is a wild guess.  So I'm getting that temperature sensor.  Because I am a spoiled brat.  Not afraid to admit it in public.
    I'm a data scientist, but this takes the cake. I don't keep a logbook (well, sort of - I log the engine hours against maintenance purchases in Quicken).
  • Options
    Yup, I fill out my logbook every time I get underway, but I don't just write down the temperatures.  That's my mental trigger to stop and think "how could weather affect me and my passengers on this trip."  When I write down fuel levels, it's my trigger to check that I have enough fuel, and so forth.  It takes about one minute, and the Admiral knows we ain't getting underway until I'm done.  

I started doing it 15 years ago, and I've probably done it 600+ times since then.  I've never run out of fuel during that time.  Maybe it works.  
  • Options
    Got the sensor today.  Plug-and-play!  I will need a longer network cable to mount it in the right location.  Right now, it's inside the helm.

What it's telling me today is 90 deg F and 50% humidity.  Beautiful!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No way its 90 in DC
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sensor things it nice everyday. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Well, the weather inside my helm was beautiful.  Outside, we had thunder and tornado warnings after a spectacular day.
  • Options
    bry1429bry1429 Member Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    @LaRea , please post some pics of mounting location of the sensor  and if you have a pic of your nema bank. I'm thinking the sensor needs to be under somewhere out of direct sunlight? 
     Let us know the accuracy. 
  • Options
    What I can say so far is that the inside of the helm is not a good location on my boat.  At one point yesterday, it was saying 99 deg when I'm pretty sure the actual temp was more like 85.  So I'll move it as soon as I get the right network cable.