Options

350 MAG high output alternator

2»

Comments

• Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    @fastback it appears to me that other members were trying to answer your questions. Alswagg once worked at Rinker building these boats and knows them inside out. A couple of members made a comment about loud music and you go off on the entire forum. Not fair to the members trying to help you. It seems you asked a question but then had an answer for everything. We try to play nice here and to help one another. You ask a question you get an answer. You may not like the answer but you get one. You state "there hasn’t been a single attempt to answer it". WRONG!!! If you don't like peoples opinions don't ask.......... Let's just all get along................. Just say'n 
    Wrong?  Please quote me the reply that recommends me an alternator, or says one doesn’t exist, because that’s the question I asked. In order for me to be wrong about that, someone had to attempt to answer it. I’m familiar with Al, and his knowledge. Funny how I’m the one you’re pointing out for not playing nice, when all I did was call others out in their attitude. It’s okay for them to be that way, and not okay for me to point it out?  Funny how things work. 
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    Ok I will try to help you one more time.  If you install an alternator with 170 amp output the 70 amp fuse will surely blow.  This is located by the battery. The alternator output wire which is orange is rated for 90 amps.  8 gauge.  You need to upgrade this wire to at minimum 6 gauge but 4 gauge would be better.  And also fuse the circuit to 170 amp.  The original 70 amp fuse must also stay in line to protect the ecm    A way this can be done is to run a new charge cable with 170 amp fuse to a battery cable junction lug just prior to the starter.     Yes the perks switch is strong enough to handle this continuous load.     Keep an eye on the serpentine belt as the load on the alternator will prematurely wear out this belt.   Good luck. 
    Al, thank you. This exact thing has already been done as a recommendation by my friends at Kicker. In case you aren’t aware, Kicker and Mercruiser are about 1 mile from each other in Stillwater Oklahoma, so several of the guys share knowledge and work at both places. 

This isn’t some half **** done install. The boat is wired correctly to make this work. All I need is an alternator. 
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds like there is only one available. I have no clue where to find one other than purchasing the one that you suggested in your original post or to have an alternator shop rework the current one to get the output that you desire.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if anyone on the wake boat forums would be able to help out in sourcing the alternator that you are looking for. Those guys are always upgrading their systems. Merc builds inboard engines, so I would think the other forums might be able to help.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    sorry if you took my comment the wrong way I did read how considerate you are about people around you and Ive been know to blast the music also .........just saying some people are not 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a limit on the battery to receive amps. I though AMG batteries charge was lower then flooded because no room for expantion. I also never new you could get a alternator over 120 amps. I'm learning things while you guys pea at each other.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,460 admin
    LOL really?????? I took your comments personal OK. Members were trying to help. Thats what we do here. Help one another.  HeII Handy had a fire concern. Then you go off on a tangent about how no one is helping you. Really????? 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    So you have already addressed the fuse situation and output wire size. Good then good luck.  Make sure your alternator is coast guard approved and you should be good to go.  
    If I have the one in the boat rebuilt to supply more amps, does that void the coast guard certification?
  • Options
    Is there a limit on the battery to receive amps. I though AMG batteries charge was lower then flooded because no room for expantion. I also never new you could get a alternator over 120 amps. I'm learning things while you guys pea at each other.
    They make huge alternators. 300+ amps. They’re popular in the off roading world to power lights, wenches, and other high draw items. The battery I posted the link for earlier is designed to do exactly what I’m doing. It’s what it’s built for. 
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    raybo3 said:
    LOL really?????? I took your comments personal OK. Members were trying to help. Thats what we do here. Help one another.  HeII Handy had a fire concern. Then you go off on a tangent about how no one is helping you. Really????? 
    Yes really. I asked for a quote where someone answered the question, and I see nothing. Now I’m going to ask you to quote where I said no one is helping me. Quote it so I can see it. 

What i said is there were lots of replies and no attempt to answer my question. That, and not helping, are two different things. I can quote a post where I mentioned people specifically helping, so I’d like to see where I said no one is helping. Don’t twist my words. 
  • Options
    GMSLITHO said:
    sorry if you took my comment the wrong way I did read how considerate you are about people around you and Ive been know to blast the music also .........just saying some people are not 
    No worries. I do try my best to be considerate of others when in the water. I don’t like listening to other people’s music, and I’m sure other people don’t like mine. We are all there to relax and have a good time. 

Theres more to powerful radios than volume too. I no longer have to go to a high level of volume to get the lows out of my subs. Now I can get the lows at a normal listening volume.  
  • Options
    Look I am not going back to get you quotes. Go read them yourself. Just play nice that is all we are asking.......... Go God............ 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    Look I am not going back to get you quotes. Go read them yourself. Just play nice that is all we are asking.......... Go God............ 
    I read them, and can find neither of what you accused me of. You may not like what I say, but it’s all been up front and no BS. In fact, I the BS I pointed out happened. The things you accused me of didn’t. Who isn’t playing nice?
  • Options
    Ok this will be the last time I post on this nonsense. People just trying to help you. This from LaRea "Does your alternator output go to a battery isolator?  If so, Handy is right - gotta make sure the isolator can handle it.".......  and this from Cableguy Greg " Why not use capacitors that are rated to give you the voltage that you need at the spikes? All they are is a storage device. It has been a while since I built a system in a car, or boat, but caps are what I always used to prevent a huge voltage drop at high levels.".......... Handy was concerned about fire........ so forth and so on. Look I am not looking to get into a pissing match with you but I dont like anyone going off on members for no reason.........

• Options
    raybo3 said:
    Ok this will be the last time I post on this nonsense. People just trying to help you. This from LaRea "Does your alternator output go to a battery isolator?  If so, Handy is right - gotta make sure the isolator can handle it.".......  and this from Cableguy Greg " Why not use capacitors that are rated to give you the voltage that you need at the spikes? All they are is a storage device. It has been a while since I built a system in a car, or boat, but caps are what I always used to prevent a huge voltage drop at high levels.".......... Handy was concerned about fire........ so forth and so on. Look I am not looking to get into a pissing match with you but I dont like anyone going off on members for no reason.........

I guess you haven't read the whole thread. Specifically the part where I acknowledged them for helping. So now you've accused me of saying things I didn't, and you've conveniently overlooked things I have said. Again, you want to talk about "for no reason?" I'd without a doubt put making things up, and not acknowledging what's actually been said into that category. I have reasons, and clearly quoted and addressed them in plain English. If you'd read the thread, you'll even see where one of the people I addressed commented that it was a misunderstanding, and I responded to him too which I'd say came to a positive resolution. You're addressing me, referencing things that didn't happen, and overlooking the positive things that don't fit your argument with me, which is based off of things that didn't happen. I'm not looking to be in any sort of match with you either, but I'm not one to let people make false accusations towards me, with no substance to back it up. I don't really like you going off on me for no reason either. Well, no reason other than the accusations that you've fabricated. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod

Well, first off I can't help with the higher amp alternator.  But, it sounds like you've been looking at many options, just curious if you gave the portable generator any thought?  Although, I'm guessing your boat does not have a charger built in nor do you have shore power connection?

Good luck and keep us updated on what you come up with.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This guy has to be a relocated Austin Snowflake that his feelings get hurt so easily
  • Options
    This is out of control.........
This discussion has been closed.