Replacement Lenses for Gray by Pompanette Portlights

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
The good news is I was able to remove and re-seal my 4 portlights the other day. Bad news is that all of them had some damage to the hinges on the lenses. Crummy design and the little hook/ears break off. One has all three missing. 
Looking at this website I believe them to be the model 626. http://pompanettellc.com/current-catalog/portlights/gray-series-molded-portlight/
I think Pompanette was taken over by Bomar and these are likely discontinued. If possible I'd like to find replacement lenses, but if not, will consider changing the entire units. Hate to do that though both for $$ and also because I just got them nicely sealed. Ideas? 

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Out of curiosity what was or how much sealant did you find?
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was ZERO sealant on any of them, other than the remnants of a cheesy stick on foam seal on the bottom side. No wonder they leak. I knew for sure the front Port side was leaking, could see the water last fall. Luckily no lasting damage to the core, it was just a little damp. The other three had no visible signs of water intrusion, except for the one in the head, but that might be from us always leaving that one cracked open, rain may have gotten in.
    Maybe @Alswagg can explain this
    edited May 2018
    Well....I applied enough that everything is sealed from the inner vinyl all the way out to the stainless trim. 
    But like I said, no factory sealant at all. Just a small bit of foam weatherstrip like you'd find at a hardware store.
    Alswagg said:
    The sealant goes between the white ridge and stainless ring.  No sealant goes onto the flange as that is against the vinyl.  The sealant is applied from outside the boat.  
    So the white flange does not touch the gelcoat?
    Not having much luck on this. The measurements of the flange suggested to me that these are model 626 elliptical as per the chart on the Pompanette website, but most elliptical port lights are a real "cats eye" design, that is, each end comes to a definite point and these almost look oval to me. Could they be the 4140v model?
    Anybody in an early 2000's FV270 change out port lights? Can't seem to find a replacement for the lenses, or even an entire new portlight that meets my size.
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was looking at new gaskets for mine...I was told my windows were Jim Black models and mine is 2002.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/jim-black-hatches-accessories/portlights
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Thanks for that @skennelly but they must have changed suppliers when they went to the new design in 2002. Mine ate definitely Gray by Pompanette but they didn't show a model number.
    @Willhound - Ha....I'd say those are Pompanette for sure :)
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    Not even sure these are produced anymore. Have sent an e-mail to them with my pics to try and get a positive I.D. and also see if replacements are still available.
    So first, hat's off to Bomar. A wonderful lady by the name of Nell has been e-mailing me back and forth trying to pin down what model port lights I have. She suggested the G616 but based on the measurements shown on their website I wasn't sure. She also clarified that although the website shows this as a fixed light they also produce it as an opening model. She suggested I contact Rinker to check.
    The wonderful Malary whose name has been mentioned on here before got back to me within a day and by using my hull number was able to confirm that they should be G616's.
    Big hat's off to Malary and Rinker for helping out on a 18 year old boat that I'm not even the original owner of. Apart from being nice people perhaps they realize there's more to maintaining brand loyalty and goodwill than just catering to your latest and biggest customers.
    Now I just have to try and find a source for replacement lenses at a reasonable price. That is going to be the difficult part.
    Thanks for doing all the leg work when we need the portals
    Well, that's assuming everything's correct. I believe Mallary at Rinker, but any of the pics I see online for replacement lenses don't exactly match what mine look like. I believe it to be Bomar part# GP907-39 but awaiting confirmation from Nell at Bomar. And it doesn't look like they sell direct, only through their distributors who it sounds like have to order, about a 4 week process. As @skennelly mentioned above, he was told his were Jim Black, not Bomar, so they may have used different suppliers for different years and models. Here's the rest of my pics. I didn't get a pic of when I measured the outside trim ring, but I got measurements of 17" x 71/4".

@Willhound - I'll try and get some measurements of mine this weekend if it helps any as an option for you.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    edited May 2018
    Btw I hate the install and design of these Windows.  I might have to reseal another window and I'm not looking forward to it.

Specifically the inside part of the removal
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Wondering how it all wrapped up and what the final install looks like.
    It hasn't. Although Bomar has been very helpful in suggesting a replacement, any of the pics I can find of the unit they suggest looks nothing like what I have. And a special 4 week order, no returns. So I've been holding off. Other projects to tackle in the meantime.
  • YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @Willhound could you please share the contact info for the person at Pompanette (Bomar)? I am going to replace my hatch seals and there seem to be two different sizes. Thanks!

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1230878

Post edited by YYZRC on
    2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay
    Here ya go @YYZRC.
    bomar@pompanette.com
    603-826-5791
    Wow I forgot about this thread. My buddy replaced his with the Jim Black Boat Port Light/Window 593-616-05-02-02-1.375 - 16 x 6. Its a perfect fit and looks to be the ones used in the newer models. I grabbed one at GLS when they had a batch in stock but didn't install it yet. GLS seems to get them in waves and will have 25 of them in stock at  time and then have none for a while until the next batch comes in from the manufacturer.

Thanks @Kaptain_Ken.
    They look like a direct replacement? I never did order the one suggested by Bomar. They looked too different in size.
    Yes seems to be. Here's a pic from a 2002 FV270 and its the same potlight.
    2002 Used Rinker Fiesta Vee 270 Express Cruiser Boat For Sale - 24500 -  Anderson SC  Moreboatscom

Willhound said:
    Thanks @Kaptain_Ken.
    They look like a direct replacement? I never did order the one suggested by Bomar. They looked too different in size.

Looks like GLS has some in stock again.

• FJ96FJ96 Member Posts: 30
    Hi,
    the "Jim Black Boat Port Light" is installed in my Fiesta Vee 242. Now it's leeking between the window and the frame. Does anybody know if there are standard sealings and where to buy them?
    Cheers
    Frank
    Frank / Fiesta Vee 242 2001 / 5.0 EFI / Germany
  • FJ96FJ96 Member Posts: 30
    Thanks!
    Frank / Fiesta Vee 242 2001 / 5.0 EFI / Germany
    They sent me a free sample to test it out...call them.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3