Options

Weight information on 2006 Fiesta Vee 270

machboatmachboat Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
I have a 2006 Fiesta Vee 270. It has the 8.1 big block and Volvo DP drive. It also has a 5K gen set. Can the boat be lifted using the front bow U bolt and the two stern U bolts. I would like to lift the boat off of my trailer so I can strip and re bottom paint my 270. How much weight are we talking at the bow U bolt and at each stern U bolt?

Comments

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An expert will chime in I'm sure. But I'd say no. I've always been told that eye bolts are provided for trailer tie down only to keep a "stationary" object stationary.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn’t use the bow and stern U bolts. Best way would be to use two slings or jack and block the boat off the trailer.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    for sure would not do that...your probably close to 9000 lbs, and don't think those parts would support that kind of weight and would not end well...
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    If you use those tie down/mooring cleats you will put some glass guy's entire family through college!

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd work around the bunks on the trailer then try to get it in a little different spot next year so the area you miss this year is exposed next year.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    With cynical humor...I've changed out that u bolt on the bow and it's got next to nothing as a backplate. That ubolt would rip out really quick if you hoisted your boat with it.  And then to work underneath it.  Hope you have 9 lives.  Boost it...
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you lower the tongue of the trailer, then block and support the stern, then raise the tongue of the trailer, the boat will lift off the rear bunks. Once that part is done and dry, lower the tongue and remove the blocking. Then raise the tongue as high as it will go, block the front of the boat, then lower the tongue. It will raise the front off the trailer to get under the front bunks. It's a PITA, but you can get the entire bottom this way.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow- would never have thought you could do that!
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    13 kip tensile strength?  Can they handle the bending load if you use them to lift the boat?  
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Not to disagree with Alswagg, but I have never seen a marina use bow and transom bolts to lift a boat. Usully they use straps around the hull with a hoist or crane. Maybe you could use the bow and transom bolts to lift part of the boat, then block it under the keel at the appropiate locations.
  • Options
    J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can be done without using the u bolts
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭✭
    They lift th e small boats by me with bow and transom u bolts to clean the bottom in the fall
  • Options
    I’m on a small lake these are 18 to 20 foot no more than 3 or 4 M # 
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Here's my FV250 recently on a Travel Lift, an impressive piece of gear that costs a mere million bucks. It took some time to get it lined up with dock lines and boat hooks, but it worked. If the shipyard had suggested using the bow and stern eyes I would have demurred, they don't look to me to be strong enough. However Al has real world knowledge and I bow to his wisdom.

Andy
  • Options
    Off topic, but this photo shows how the new bottom paint has kept marine growth at bay after two months sitting in sea water. They pulled the boat out to redo a small area near the stern where paint had peeled off where the jack stand pad was.

Andy.
  • Options
    My dad had a  1968 42 foot  wood fly ridge pacemaker it weighed 21,000 lbs the travel lift would cry a little to lift that boat up  when he put it back in the water he would sit in the slings for a day till the wood would swell back up again  
  • Options
    rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
    The 270 is small enough to be forklifted. This was for a check on my bellows.  Cheap and easy.  

• Options
    @rinker270nb That's impressive. I can imagine somebody's got a "boat fail" video where the forklift weighed less than the boat! :D:D

Andy
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I was in the process of purchasing my 280EC, the boatyard where it was at lifted it with a fork truck. The guy running the fork truck lifted her 15 feet in the air. Scared the crap out of me. Fortunately I hadn't signed on the dotted line yet, so if it fell, it was on the PO and the boatyard.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,564 mod
    My marina fork lifts up to the 342s.  It's impressive watching them move boats in/out all day long with ease.  they also stack them 4 rows high!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    There are numerous of video's on youtube where the straps break on the cradle...surprisingly there aren't any with forklist fails that I can find.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    Alswagg Thank you for the reply. Can you also answer my second question in my original post? "How much weight are we talking at the bow U bolt and at each stern U bolt?" FYI I forgot to mention this 270 also has an arch. Thanks in advance.

• Options
    Alswagg Thank You