Options

CO detector goes off all the time when cruising very embarrassing - 2008 350 Cruiser - Merc 350

2»

Answers

• Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Bat, Thanks for the detailed explanation, it's exactly what's needed to help us grasp the disastrous potential found in our power boats, especially cruisers and cuddys. I'm still looking for the brand name of a CO detector for the boat that would best serve our rather unique needs. Being a boater and well versed in CO can you recommend a particular CO detector/monitor model (or 2) that would do the job on-board?

This residential use Kidde batt operated CO det/mon found on Amazon has a rather scary delay potential based on your statement above. See user pic below

Kidde KN-COPP-LN LINK

Here's a reviewers pic of the Kidde model from Amazon. Seems to be mounted about 3' too high if I understand CO det placement??

The NSI 3000 that Weber mentioned has a Youtube link below and it sounds like a good choice if he's having consistent monitoring on-board. [NSI 3000 LINK]  Now to find a seller and a price.

{EDIT} Looks like BDs earlier link to the CO Experts 2014 unit on Amazon is one answer for 1 1/2 boat units ($150). Or, the ProTech 7035 SL at $75 unless someone else has a better lead.

After fire suppression in the engine compartment and hi-tech CO monitors, stayin' alive is killin' me. ;)

Mike

Post edited by TikiHut2 on
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I splurged and got a CO monitor a few weeks ago.  I keep it at the helm or down below, it is surprising the readings I get.  Makes you pay attention a bit more.  I had an alarm (~8ppm) in the cabin with my genset on (it was actually working that day!) while on the hook, I'm sure if I had the cabin door closed it would not have been an issue.  Picks up the backdrafting too..bad at low speed and a lot of canvas up (pouring rain) as expected, but helps a lot to have a reading at a low PPM so you can do something about it.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BA, I too put in a monitor but haven't used the boat in 3mths although I ran it in my shop for 30mins with the monitor temporarily mounted in the engine compartment and happily saw no indication of CO on the monitors screen. I took it off and held it at the stern with the boat running and it sounded almost instantly. This one will live in the cabin alongside my 9v CO backup for redundancy with another 9v CO unit in the cockpit.

I posted somewhere else about the shocking lack of a sealed bulkhead between the cabin and engine compartment so this seems like a huge priority for anyone who has a cuddy cabin or larger boat.
    I finally launch the boat on Friday for a 4day weekend in complete indifference to the endless broiling/monsoonal/lightning season we're having so I will follow up with a CO report if anything goes askew. Mike
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    BriteEyesBriteEyes Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
    Our boat has been fixed. Fuel cells needed to be replaced because they were running rich. Too much gas going in and paint chips were clogging up, so engine computers were over compensating for it. Thank you for all the suggestions and we will keep the digital portable detector on board. Everybody enjoy your boat but remember safety comes first. Hopefully no one will encounter the same but if you do, hopefully this post will help. Bty we have 350 Mags