Options

Reverse Polarity

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
This is the first time I’m using shore power hooked up to my house. When I plugged in the red reverse polarity light came on. I turned on the main switch and the green light came on. Everything operates as it should with power on ( range, microwave and battery charger). Is it normal to see the reverse polarity light on when plugged into the house?

2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,587 mod
    Could be the outlet is mis-wired.  Try plugging into a different outlet somewhere else in the house (not on the same circuit).  

Might be a good time to buy one of these if you don't already have one:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dawson-3-Wire-GFCI-Outlet-Tester-DET300/206375583 

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank @LaRea , if the outlet is wired wrong everything would still work normal?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Yes.  There's a higher risk of shock injury if you are using, say a toaster or an AC-powered lamp, or something with defective wiring.  But stuff will still work.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens to me sometimes in storage plugging in to a 110, I just make sure all connections are good and find a different outlet and it’s all good 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    I had one outlet in my garage that would do that on my 242, it happened to be the one closest to the boat in the driveway. I shut off the breaker to the garage, pulled out the wall plug, switched the white and black wires. Since then, no issues. If you get a replacement male and female cord end, and a short piece of wire (12 -14 gauge 3-wire) and make a short extenion cord with the black and white wires switched on one end, you can use this to correct it, and be able to use it elswhere if needed. $10-$20 at a home improvment store.
  • Options
    If there's an outlet or circuit with reversed polarity, it's dangerous.  Fix the problem.  

There's an easy way to remember.  The black wire is the hot (120 volt), and the white is the neutral (return to ground).  When you look at a 3-prong plug or outlet, one blade is wider than the other.  Just remember:  the length of the slot is like the length of the word.  

short = hot
    long = neuuu-trallll 
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And gound is round. Lol 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Ground is green.
  • Options
    Or the bare copper wire on most outlets.
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭✭
    also the white wire goes to the chrome screw the black wire to the brass or black screw 
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, that's the easiest way to remember. White to light and black to dark.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    howardramshowardrams Member Posts: 223 ✭✭✭
    Not normal.  Reverse polarity means probably your house outlet was wired wrong, or one of your extension cords someone cut the ground post off or is using a 2 wire to 3 adapter.  Not good.  Most devices work, but an old metal electric power tool you would have the "hot" in your bare hand.  Touch a ground with your other hand or step in water and you are dead.