Options

Steering Wheel

raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,461 admin
Question on my steering wheel. My boat is a 2002 342 FV. Are the allen head bolts on the steering wheel for decoration or do they actually hold the steering wheel on?????? 
2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hold it on Bro
  • Options
    CarsnmorellcCarsnmorellc Member Posts: 230 ✭✭
    They hold it on but that connects to a hub that then connects to the boat.  So you do not have to remove the allen head bolts.  You will have a center cap, remove, you will see a center nut with a washer.  Remover that and the steering wheel and hub will come off.  When you buy a new steering wheel it will come with a new hub.  I just replaced mine.
    2001 340 Fiesta Vee 20P Hill Marine and 2 new 6.2 Horizon motors. Whine Down
  • Options
    I just upgraded mine last week.
  • Options
    They hold it on but that connects to a hub that then connects to the boat.  So you do not have to remove the allen head bolts.  You will have a center cap, remove, you will see a center nut with a washer.  Remover that and the steering wheel and hub will come off.  When you buy a new steering wheel it will come with a new hub.  I just replaced mine.
    Thanks Carsnmorellc but it the allen heads hold the wheel to the hub I would have to replace the hub and I could just buy the wheel like this one.....

2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,565 mod
    I agree, you definitely can replace with a wheel like that if the hole pattern lines up.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I just upgraded mine last week.
    Where did you get that one and how much if you dont mind me asking??? I could use that without changing the hub also.......
  • Options
    Yes I would go with an all in 1 unit cause most times your wheel will not line up straight when in idle compared to cruising speed.  I will find this wheel for you, just may take me a little bit.  This is a Monday of Mondays..... 
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks very much
  • Options
    Just a quick note........ I sent an e-mail to Malory in the Rinker parts department on Sunday night. I had an answer on Monday morning at 6:10am. That is what I call great service...... Just say'n