Options

Clarion Speaker question

DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
So I decided to finally get around to replacing my stereo speakers.  THIS is what I found when I pulled my speaker grill off.
I'm pretty sure I know what I want to get, but my question is....DO I buy a 6" speaker or do I buy a 6.5" speaker. 

My original is a 2007 model Clarion speaker, which came with the boat and has not been replaced.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are 6 1/2" speakers. All of us have opinions on what to spend your money on. When I replaced mine, I went with Alpine SPS-M601's with the silver grills. I like them and have been very happy with them.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Cableguy Greg, Thanks...I want to stay around $100 a pair, because I need 4 pair.  I dont need to play my music for the entire marina, so going high end is not a huge priority.
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    Why would you want to replace THAT speaker?  It looks new, out of the box. Lol
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    As I've said elsewhere, stay away from the Sony XS speakers.  In two years, they will look like that photo.  
  • Options
    jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Infinity makes good marine speakers that are clear and good cost
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Pioneer is a good brand 
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,568 mod
    There's no substitute for an in-person comparo.  West Marine usually has a few models hooked up ...
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    thats funny ec420 and new marine mat===gald you have 200 left for speakers
     :p  :p:p
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The polk audio($60) fit the same drill hole(mounting screw) on my 270. The infinity ($99) are a bit larger, drill new holes to mount but will fit the hole.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    The Alpines fit in the same holes as the Clarions.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 06 342 came with clarion 6 1/2 that looked like yours. Last spring I got all new clarion 6 1/2, I got the direct offset to the original as the original was discontinued. Good news was I got 3 pair on amazon warehouse open box for $33 a pair marked down from $120 new, bad news was that I had to cut all the holes in the glass bigger to make fit. Used extension rings in the arch to make them fit rather than cut aluminum. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Liberty44140, doing my best to make this as easy as possible.  After looking at my old speakers, anything is going to sound GREAT !  I'm not a huge fan of loud obnoxious music, so I'll save spending big $ for something that is more important to me.  I decided to go with the Alpines, I needed 4 pair, and I found them on Amazon. 
    Thanks everyone for your input !!
  • Options
    Cableguy Greg,  Just an update.....I replaced all 8 of my cockpit speakers, along with the sub... with the speakers you suggested (Alpine).

What an AMAZING DIFFERENCE !!!   my boat stereo sounds like a million bucks AND IT ONLY COST MY $400 IN SPEAKERS. 

Thanks for your input !
  • Options
    Glad it worked out for you. I am happy with them as well and they didn't break the bank.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    onislandtimeonislandtime Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    I have kickers and everyone ask (when they here my music) what kind of speakers are they. Enough said
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 951 ✭✭✭
    I have kickers and everyone ask (when they here my music) what kind of speakers are they. Enough said
    I get that question a lot too! LOL
  • Options
    trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    we have the kickers also=they were already installed when we bought the boat=they sound great=i would like to upgrade the head unit=but im afraid to change anything because we love the sound=just use bluetooth pandora from our note 8