Options

New pulleys

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
During our long trip last season we lost an idler pulley.  It was the smooth one down by the alternator.  I replaced that pulley on both engines.  I noticed that the tension pulley, which is grooved is the same design.  I just replaced both of them because they are the same design as the idlers.  

Basically these pulleys are bearing inside a plastic wheel.  The bearing appears to be sealed, so no maintenance option.  Not sure how long they are expected to last, but mine failed around 750 hours/15 years.  So with luck I'm good for another 750 hours and or 15 years.  :)

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the sea water pump seal leaks the pulley above is sure to go.just an fyi
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    OEM pulleys?  No shiny candy-like Hardin Marine pulleys for you?
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those idlers have a life span based on the bearing. L-10 is the term and predicts hours of life based on loads and rpm. The bugger on a boat is the bearing is static so much you can get fretting/false brinneling internally that leads to ‘premature’ failure.  

Engineering theory seminar #2.  lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    @LaRea I put in Merc pulleys.  Not a fan of Sierra parts.  

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    I've got a squeal coming from my port engine.  I need to figure out if it's a pulley.  It was there last year and I replaced the belt, but was still there.  My mechanic said it was still from belt (showed me by touching it with a bar of soap and it went away).  It's not there past idle speed.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Belt squeal is from the belt slipping. The soap just added lubrication. Causes can be low belt tension, worn belt, damaged pulley(s), rust or contamination on the pulley(s) this can include an idler. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Stodge,   Where did you procure them from?  I need to replace mine, i have a bearing chirp.

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember your post from last year @Stodge and consequently picked up 2 new pulleys and a belt before my trip to Georgian Bay last fall. Had them as spares but plan on installing soon and keep the old as emergency spares after.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    I used the Mercury Parts Catalog:  https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/parts-and-accessories/parts-catalog  To get the part numbers.  Then your vendor of choice.  I've gotten parts from iBoats recently.  Amazon may have them as well.

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,563 mod
    Belt squeal is from the belt slipping. The soap just added lubrication. Causes can be low belt tension, worn belt, damaged pulley(s), rust or contamination on the pulley(s) this can include an idler. 

Yeah, the mechanic kind of said the same thing and while looking over it with it running we both thought the pulleys look new (no rust or damage), he just replaced belt, and I did play with tension a couple times.  It is one of those things that has come and gone since I've had the boat, and nothing seems to be a culprit.  I had even swapped the idler between motors years ago and it didn't seem to matter.  It goes away the minute there is any throttle given.  I always keep a spare belt as well.  I need to look closer at the pulleys to see if one is misaligned somehow.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    If the sea water pump seal leaks the pulley above is sure to go.just an fyi
    Thats what happened to me.  Leaky water pump during one trip and then a couple months later the idler pulley went on that engine.  I replaced all the idlers and water pump pulleys while in there.  I hate alarms while underway.  So whatever i can do to prevent something from happening again, i'm all about it....
  • Options
    There's actually 2 idlers, at least on the 350.  The smooth one near the bottom and the tension adjust.