Options

Atwood Water Heater

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
Noticed yesterday that after being turned on for over an hour I wasn't getting hot water. Suspect the Admiral hit the breaker when cleaning before I had water in the tank with predictable results. By any chance is there a reset under this cover? I'm thinking just order an element? The water in the pic is from me spraying water while cleaning. Tank isn't leaking.

"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why don't they have anode rods??
  • Options
    Thanks @Alswagg . Heading to boat shortly and will check. Met the new neighbour last night around a camp fire until about 3. Ouch......I'm definitely not 25 anymore....
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Volt meter for continuity will let you know if element is bad. There's only 3 parts to the heater. Element,Tsat and over heat thing(obviously not what is called). 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Hmm. Looked all over around the connections and no reset. Should have took a pic but I was standing on my head to get the cover off.
  • Options
    maybe this can help??
  • Options
    Thanks @reneechris14. That looks like what I saw today. Will check it out at boat.
  • Options
    Problem solved. Thanks to the manual @reneechris14 posted.
    Pretty silly really, but in the interests of potentially helping someone else out I don't mind looking a little stupid. And in my defense I have to say it's my first year ever commissioning the water system for the season.
    The layout of my heater is exactly like in the pic above. Back at the boat last night I dutifully pulled out my meter and started doing the tests shown. Everything showed good. Hmmmm. Tried running water for a bit, thought I felt a small burst of warm, but then icy cold again. Checked to make sure I didn't have the lines switched, all good. Totally stumped I was buttoning things back up when my arm hit the brass pressure relief valve and YOUCH, that sucker was HOT. Hmm...looking more closely at the trouble shooting section of the manual above, I saw the part about opening up the pressure relief to "burp" air trapped in the tank. Instant hot water.
    When I had hooked the pump back up I opened up all the hot water taps first until I got good flow and thought I was done. My "theory" is that the air trapped in the tank was at just the perfect level where the inlet and outlet were just barely covered so as cold water was flowing into the tank, it was flowing right back out the hot side. Meanwhile the entire bottom part of the tank was hot. D'oohhhh!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,820 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice easy and cheap fix!!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Great info.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dude check it out I help someone  B)B)
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job Chris LOL