Options

AC Wiring Question/Issue

342guy342guy Member Posts: 5
New to me Rinker 342. My AC is tripping the breaker at the panel. I took the panel out, tested the breaker for continuity and it was good (multimeter on each side of the breaker with it on). I opened the AC unit up to see where the wiring is coming in. There are two sets of white/black/green wiring coming into the unit. Tested the first set for continuity (black/white), no continuity. Tested the second set and continuity is fine. 

Does anyone know where the two sets of wiring run to? I assume one is from the breaker panel but dont know where the other comes from/runs to. Also there are two additional white wires going to or coming from the unit, maybe to the pump? 

I am no electrician but thought the lack of continuity between white/black on the one set of wires could be an issue? 

Comments

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard.  

I assume you have both main breakers on and power to both shore power inlets.

One possibility is the water pump.  The pump is located in the mid-berth, on the starboard side under the cushions.  Might be worth a look to make sure the raw water strainer is clean, the shut-off is open and the pump is engaging.

Only other thing that comes to mind is a wire that passes through the A/C housing getting frayed on the housing and shorting out.

There is LOTS of experience here and I'm sure some folks will chime in with other ideas.

Good luck and enjoy your 342.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The pump is 110v running from the AC unit. The other wire is the main 110v from panel. Its possible the pump is frozen causing the breaker to trip. Does it trip immediately or after a short period?
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Not really sure what "white and black" wire your checking and if its connected to anything but the black is power carrying wire and the white is the neutral. You should not have any continuity if its coming from a breaker that is turned off...... However you could be reading through the pump. Again not sure what set of wires your checking.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Is the smaller 20 amp breaker on the panel that is marked AC for the unit or the pump? It's the smaller one that pops. The fan comes on, I hear the pump start (should water be immediately coming out?), then something else tries to start and pops the breaker. 
  • Options
    Sounds like the compressor is locked up. Water should flow fairly fast. 
  • Options
    Could be a bad capacitor if it has one
  • Options
    I replaced the capacitor, no luck
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    342guy said:
    Is the smaller 20 amp breaker on the panel that is marked AC for the unit or the pump? It's the smaller one that pops. The fan comes on, I hear the pump start (should water be immediately coming out?), then something else tries to start and pops the breaker. 
    It should take about 5-10 seconds from pump start till you hear it "peeing" outside.

Might watch the strainer for the pump and have someone turn it on and see if you notice any movement in the strainer (assuming it's clear like mine).

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX