Options

Where to source plumbing pipe?

BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

I replaced my hot water heater, and it was slightly different. I need a piece of the plastic water pipe they used, the same stuff that runs to all the taps. No dealer around here seems to have a clue.

Thanks

2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi

Comments

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think any RV store/supplier would have it. They also have plastic pipe at home improvement stores but not sure if it’s the same size or not. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1/2" Pex water line should be the same size as the cpvc that's in there.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aero3113 said:
    I would think any RV store/supplier would have it. They also have plastic pipe at home improvement stores but not sure if it’s the same size or not. 
    Its definitively not CPVC but more like Pex. There have been a few people on here that have located fittings. I believe @LaRea knows where or @Dream_Inn  
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My 342 is all 1/2” pex that is stocked at Lowe’s, Home Depot and most hardware stores. Fittings are “flair-it” fittings
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I believe Liberty is correct, check with local h/w store first.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Okay, cpvc was a poor choice of term. It's just an early version of Pex/Wirsbo/Watts plastic waterline. Pex works. And if you don't like the plastic flare fittings that were used (and can be hard to find) Sharkbite push fittings also work.
    (Okay.....let 'er rip boys on the suitability of Sharkbite fittings. Personally I trust them better than compression or Watts push n turn)
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    I think the only drawback to Sharkbite is the high cost, but that's only a factor if you are plumbing an entire house.  
  • Options
    BellevilleMXZBellevilleMXZ Member Posts: 732 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys! Sorry for the late reply, have been swamped with work
    2005 Rinker 270 FV Volvo Penta 5.7Gi
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of the guys have stopped using SBs on house installations except for temporary shut-offs because they can be removed easily. There have been some reports of leaks - have not seen it myself just heard the discussions. I'm old fashioned - for house installation - I like copper with solder.
  • Options
    Beautiful work! Level and clean - what I love to see!
  • Options
    I'm probably gonna catch h*ll for posting "plumbing" pictures here but this is a job I just did in my condo. Ran copper to a new HVAC unit, glycol based, made the SS hoses at friend's shop and mounted the lines to the HVAC housing for rigidity. Used high performance copper to reduce chemical internal wear of the lines.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I have heard they are fine. I'm pretty old-fashioned regarding supply provision - I like to sweat-on my connections. I have to admit I even have a sh*tload of the old higher-content lead wire as I like it better. I used the new stuff here but had to use a real hot torch to sweat the new wire on. Lots of homeowners don't know the leadless wire takes a lot more "fast" heat and they burn-off their flux with an "old style" torch, get a weak sweat connection then a leak.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m a big fan of pex. If I’m doing just a small change like changing out a sil **** I’ll use a shark bite but for something larger like a bath remodel that would use more than a few shark bites I’ll rent the nice crimper from Home Depot for a day or two and do all crimped rings. Of course to connect pex to your home copper you still need a shark bite. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Alswagg said:
    I probably could have aligned the wires better I know, but I got in a hurry when I wired the circuit panel.  But, still passed code requirements easily 
    That looks like Rinker wiring, no tie wraps LOL
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice work @Alswagg . Back to the OP, it is PEX pipe and Flair-it fittings. Home Depot and Lowes sell short pieces of it in the plumbing dept. The fittings can be found on-line and at RV & mobile home stores.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Alswagg said:
    I probably could have aligned the wires better I know, but I got in a hurry when I wired the circuit panel.  But, still passed code requirements easily 
    That looks like Rinker wiring, no tie wraps LOL
    Wire ties are not a good idea in a panel. The wires need air so that heat does not get trapped in the "bundle". I once did a panel and wire tied every wire and the electrical inspector made me cut the out. Also wires should not be bent more than 90*. The bend "stresses" the insulation and copper causing  high resistance.......... Just say'n
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Handy, tie wrapping inside the box will instantly fail code requirements.  As a comment to Al's pic, a service loop before going into each breaker gives a clean look and makes it easier to pull breaker and remove wire.  Also, when wiring an entire new box, if wires coming in from top, run wires to bottom breakers first, going up.  If wires coming in from bottom, wire top breakers first then down.  Wires will lay nicely on sides then without tangling.  (sorry if I sound a bit anal, years ago, my first job was in charge of radar installations)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Not illegal in Florida
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    The code book is "NEC" national electrical code......... Just say'n............. Also judging from the picture, circuit #13 looks like its a gray wire... Major code violation..... just say'n 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    If I am a betting man, which I am not, I would say that most of those wires are stranded since they are pulled through a conduit. Pulling multiple solid wires through an conduit is no fun. Since they are more than likely stranded, they won't lay in a panel like a solid wire, therefore warranting the few wire ties.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    raybo3 said:
    The code book is "NEC" national electrical code......... Just say'n............. Also judging from the picture, circuit #13 looks like its a gray wire... Major code violation..... just say'n 
    Ok Mr Electric da .Grey is high voltage. This is a 277/480 panel
  • Options
    In Canada gray wire can also denote in-ground code requirement for wiring in a wet/damp location. So, ok where I live.
  • Options
    White and gray wire is neutral. On 277 there is no neutral so 277 light circuits are one leg of 480 to grounds (gray)............. A gray wire should never be used as a "hot" or current feeding wire....... 
  • Options
    How did we go from PEX and Flair-It fittings to industrial wiring?

Here are a couple Flair-it fittings on Amazon.

Go Steelers!!!