Options

Charging issue

2»

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,557 mod
    Is it just the photo, or is there some discoloration that looks like scorching on a couple of those cable boots?
  • Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Wow, you're right. I didn't see it in person because it's hard to get to. I stuck my phone above it and took a pic. 

The problem started when I was using a automotive charger on the docks at put-in-bay for the weekend. (I know, please no bashing). It was a smart charger connected to the house battery just to keep it charged for the weekend. 

I also blew my drive down trim solenoid that weekend, so I likely had some kind of power surge. Maybe the burn mark on the isolator shows that? 
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @JoeStang that center wire is directly from the alternator  (Volt meter to verify) 
    Varify the start and house #1. #2.
    12.7 engine off
    14.+ or - after engine fires up
    Check this at back of alt. then center pin 
    Now check the other pins on the isolator.
    (This is where my charger connected)
    The pins should show 14.+ or - if so the battery should so 14.
    My guess is the +wire form the isolator is not connected to the house battery.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would start at the isolator. That seems like the common point. If you were charging just the house battery, the isolator probably didn't like the current running backwards thru it. Think of it as a one way valve.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Replace it 
    since it’s really down to the isolator or the switch now 

• Options
    Yeah I'm gonna start with the isolator, mostly because it's easier to get to and sounds like more likely the issue.
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Looking at the photo again: my guess is a loose connection. That would cause heat, which would cause carbon buildup, which would increase resistance and start an endless cycle. Until it wasn't passing any current. This would discolor the caps (as seen) and lead to one side of the isolator not charging.

If the isolator is still good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqCUyJ2P3yI
  • Options
    So I finally got around to swapping the isolator with a new unit. It was the culprit.

What looked like burn marks on the rubber boots was not from heat, it appeared to be grease/dirt from whoever installed it from the factory.

Voltage to all batteries is 13.8-14.0 regardless of switch position now, which is how it should be. Now I wont have to constantly move the switch back & forth depending if I'm running or anchored. B)
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    Great find Joe!  As I've said, I went thru an isolator last spring as well.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express