Options

HOLDING TANK FILTERS

jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
Just received my Voker holding tank filter and noticed there is no mention of any kind of relief valve in the instructions like the "Big Orange" has. This may be why it was considerably cheaper. Just wondering if anyone on here has had a problem with it clogging. Thinking maybe I'll add a tee with a cap, or valve between the tank and filter to open when tank is being pumped out.

Comments

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    The one on my boat does not have a vent and never had a problem
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just added a release valve to my home made vent filter this year but I had no issues for years without the release valve. Search the other threads here and you will see the pics and discussion on this.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    Thanks, I will look.
  • Options
    ChancedevlinChancedevlin Member Posts: 13
    Is there a filter on a 2004 342, if so where is it?  There is a nasty smell coming out of my vent every time we flush. 
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,561 mod
    There is no filter on mine either.. in the process to shop for one. As soon as you mentioned “ Boat “ the price is ridiculous. 100$ US more for a plastic tube and charcoal !!!

Just make your own.  Cost is about $20 and then $5 or so to refill.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    I went with a Voker filter ($47.99 us) only to raelize there is no relief valve built in. The connections are simple screw on hose connectors, so it shouldn't be an issue to disconnect the hose going to the tank before pumpout. Probably could have built my own for half the price!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    I made my own too, spent about $30 or so and it works fine.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    After having to just pull my holding tank i really recommend putting in some form of relief valve.  You don't control the suction on the pump out stations and exact replacements of the storage tanks are not out there.  It is well worth the effort. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    After having to just pull my holding tank i really recommend putting in some form of relief valve.  You don't control the suction on the pump out stations and exact replacements of the storage tanks are not out there.  It is well worth the effort. 
    Was it cracked?
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That’s what I did when the suction hose clamp was leaking. Instead of just tightening the clamp, I removed the tank cleaned everything and installed a releif valve.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a Saniguard filter on my boat installed by the PO. I got a direct replacement from Amazon made by Voker for $47. I was surprised that it was made with 2" PVC pipe with caps and hose threads on each end. It has some foam in each end and a foam filter to prevent the charcoal from coming out. Next time I will make my own.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Scotch pads work great as ends to keep the foam in!  :)

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭✭
    @Handymans342 I thought it was cracked but it ended up being a loose 90 connection.  The smell had me determined to either a) get rid of the smell or b) get rid of the boat.  I ended up removing the holding tank, cleaning it, fixing the connections and then painted it.  If i could of found a replacement i would have bought it.  The closest thing i could find was going to take 6-8 weeks and i would have to put in the hose connections as the tank came as a blank.  I essentially used up about 4 half used cans of spray paint i had in my shop.  It wasn't to make it pretty it was to lock in the smell.  The test for me was when i left it in my shop (24x12 ft room) in 90 degree heat.  I came back the next day and only smelled spray paint. 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
     Liberty44140 said:
    Scotch pads work great as ends to keep the foam in!  :)

Or the air vent filters that you can buy at home depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/4-in-x-12-in-Vent-Filters-12-Pack-WVENT/100351670

• Options
    Nice Dream, I may use that for my spring 2019 refill. 

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank @diggin2day1 this is when he made other stuff.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep... still works like a champ. Change the charcoal each year. 
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I did all that once but wasn't happy with the results.  Ended up getting big orange.  I use the same charcoal as pictured above to re-fill it every year.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge said:
    I did all that once but wasn't happy with the results.  Ended up getting big orange.  I use the same charcoal as pictured above to re-fill it every year.

Just curious, did it not keep the smell down?  or did it not allow air to flow during pump out?  or was it just the way it mounted?

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Dream_Inn said:
    Stodge said:

Just curious, did it not keep the smell down?  or did it not allow air to flow during pump out?  or was it just the way it mounted?
    I suspect I was doing something wrong.  The foam at the ends would get soaked with water and reduce the air flow.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Stodge said:
    Dream_Inn said:
    Stodge said:

I suspect I was doing something wrong.  The foam at the ends would get soaked with water and reduce the air flow.  

May have been location of the filter (or tank too full).  I'm always concerned about air flow with mine during pump out.  Most of our pump outs really pull it fast.  I have added the large valve on the top of the tank, but I think it waits for a bit before it reliefs pressure.  I should just add another one around the filter.

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Here's a pic of the one I built with vent included. Also added a union so I can open it to change carbon without disconnecting hoses.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    Also heard a good tip.... use a nylon stocking to fill with charcoal so it doesn’t get everywhere. 
    Post edited by diggin2day1 on
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For a few bucks I really like the Big Orange. Has a vent. Super easy to change the charcoal (which lasts a couple of years) and sponge filter. Never heard of odor on a boat with one installed.

The tank saver relief valve does take a couple of seconds to engage but between that, the oem vent and the vent on my Big Orange we never had a problem.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,555 mod
    You guys with filters - do you also use tank deodorant, or does the filter make it unnecessary?  The only time I've ever had odor problems is when I forget to add deodorant.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still do. Find it keeps things fresher smelling in the head area. Don't use as much though.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Definitely prefer both. I have zero smells. If I don’t use deodorant in the tank I’ll get a very light smell when I flush in the head, and the filter keeps things from smelling outside. The deodorant only lasts a week or two and then dies off so for me, we use the head all weekend every weekend and pump out every 3-4 weeks, using both works great 

• Options
    I'm with Willhound, we use a little at the end of each weekend for smell in the head, not for vent flushing.