Options

Boat stereo problem

SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 880 ✭✭✭
Launched my new to me 2008 330 EC and am discovering gremlins.  This one involves the stereo.  It's a Clarion M455A that I believe to be original.  Sitting at the dock with with nothing running except charger, stereo won't turn on, as if there's no power.  Start the engine, push the "on" button and stereo immediately turns on.  Despite the charger being on for about an hour, I suspect bad house battery.

Next day, after having charger on all night I try radio again and nothing.  I run jumper cables from new battery just bought a week ago to house battery, and still nothing.  Start engine, and stereo start right up.

With jumper cables off, and charger turned off, voltage at house battery is 12.90.  Voltage at stereo itself is 12.78.  Seems like this should be adequate to run stereo but it doesn't.  Start engine, and voltage at stereo is 14.13.  Stereo works.  

What's up?

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have the key turned to the ACC position? Since you have twins, one might work the stereo and the other doesn't.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    You mean like you do with a car?  Never thought of that.  Never had a boat that was set up that way.  Is that common with Rinker?  Does that also mean the stereo would be hooked to one of the starter batteries instead of the House?

I'll give this a try next time up.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    edited May 2018
    Many boats were built that way.  The stereo's "remote on" voltage comes from the ignition switch.  Turn the key to the first click (accessory position), and the stereo should come on.  

The remote on only uses a few milliamps, so it won't drain your starter.  The stereo's main power comes from the house battery.  

Side note:  on mine, turning to accessory would sometimes make the tachometer hour meter start running, even with the engine turned off.  Check yours to make sure it's not doing that.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Experiment though. My 270 ignition turns back (left) for accessory and stereo. First click right primes the fuel pump and EFI to get ready to start. But yes, key for stereo. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both of my Rinkers were set up that way, left for ACC, then right for RUN and START. The first one that I had was a 1998 232cc. My 2008 280EC is the same.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Greg, if your 2008 is that way, I'd think it's a good chance so is mine.  
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭
    My 2000 232 I turn the key to accessory (to the left) to listen to tunes with engine not running, and it does not cause the engine hours to climb. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    I had the EXACT same problem with my boat..the stereo would only run when the boat engine was on. Simple fix. connect it to a hot wire...Thats what I did. now it works all the time. Rinker did it this way on purpose so as not to kill your battery. Why ?   I'll never know
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Im wiling to bet its because they wired your stereo or amplifiers remote turn on into a switched power and not a house power.  This way you won't forget to turn of the stereo and drain the battery when moored up somewhere.  
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,567 mod
    Typically, the amplifiers are on big, fat power cables that run directly from the house battery.  

The remote-on wire is hooked to the starter battery via the ignition switch, but it draws essentially no power, and can't drain the battery.  It's just a small-gauge wire that tells the M455A "whenever you see 12 volts here, turn on the stereo system."
  • Options
    LaRea, I like that explanation.  Hope to get to the boat in next couple of days to try that out.
  • Options
    mattiemattie Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd be suspicious that it isn't a wiring issue. Our M455 from 2008 did the exact same thing - began shutting off for no reason. Checked power to the unit, etc, etc.

Turns out the head unit was bad. 

Replaced it with a new M303 & new remotes & Kicker speakers. Works awesome now.

Don't even attempt to figure out what went bad with your 455. I got a big ol 'bill' from a local stereo shop trying to sleuth out the issue.
    246BR, 276BR, H310BR current
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Typically, the amplifiers are on big, fat power cables that run directly from the house battery.  

The remote-on wire is hooked to the starter battery via the ignition switch, but it draws essentially no power, and can't drain the battery.  It's just a small-gauge wire that tells the M455A "whenever you see 12 volts here, turn on the stereo system."
    Correct, but my statement is referring to why it does not work vs when the boat is running.  They wired the remote turn on to a switched 12v source.  Most amplifiers will be on 8 ga to 4 ga wire.  However it too has a remote turn on, often to the same location that the headunit has.  
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    Got up to boat Sunday and sure enough, stereo ON was hooked up the the ACC on the port ignition switch.  Works great.  What a relief.  Thanks for all your help guys.