Options

Mercruiser 5.7 Fresh Water Cooled : Raw Water Pump Jammed

pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
Just to share : 

Took the 330 out yesterday with the family. This has a pair of Mercr 5.7 efi's driving Bravo3. Got to a fishing spot , dropped anchor and killed the motors. About an hour later , starboard refuses to start. Cranks but no start. Add throttle , crank and then she starts , but with a very loud shrieking sound from engine compartment. Killed that engine.

Did not want to prolong stress for family , started up port engine and limped home with that one engine. Docking with one engine when you're used to two is quite an experience (note to self).

Arranged for family's lunch at marina's cafe and then opened up the engine hatch :smile:

Long story short  , the engine could not start because the raw water pump was jammed and preventing the engine from turning over. I took off the serpentine belt and the engine started right up (killed it immediately , needed to just confirm that the problem was not with the motor).

I rotated the raw water pump's pulley by hand (it turns clockwise , by the way) and it stated to loosen/turn after some effort. I could see that it was working because the water visible through the sight-glass on the sea water strainer was churning.

I put the belt back , tensioned it and started the engine. Runs like a champ.

Has anyone experienced something like this before or could share some opinion on this. I am planning to open up that pump and have a look. Would it be likely that the impeller is destroyed ?

Thanks.

Comments