Batt type?

MsquaredMsquared Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
Are you guys a fan of FAM batteries?

Comments

• MsquaredMsquared Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Sorry ..AGM batteries 
  • 69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 948 ✭✭✭
    A quality AGM battery is well worth the money.  
  • Kaptain_KenKaptain_Ken Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    Wow! An hour long! Lol. Cliff notes?

I have a XS XP3000 battery (AGM), and just to use last weekend as an example, the lake was ridiculously rough. Waves coming in the front of the boat and unable to get on plane to be on top of them type of rough. We opted to find a beach that was hidden from the wind and just swim all day. I ran my true 2000 watt radio off of that one battery at about 75% volume, which is a large amp draw, for 4.5 straight hours. I was curious to see how it would hold up, and after that kind of use, the starter still cranked faster than it did with my standard 850 CCA deep cycle battery with a full charge. It was like it just came off the charger.  
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ....what I have been sayin' for years about AGMs. Now there's TPPL (Thin Plate Pure Lead) AGM batteries - even meaner!
  • andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    AGM without a doubt. Truck, van, boat, ATV, tractor. Mine all have AGMs.

Andy.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,549 mod
    Michael T said:
    ....what I have been sayin' for years about AGMs. Now there's TPPL (Thin Plate Pure Lead) AGM batteries - even meaner!
    So, @MichaelT - I just had my first issue with my TPPL batteries.  This past Friday night, it seemed like my house batteries weren't lasting very long.  So, yesterday I checked them out when I got back in the marina.  I checked each of them individually and found one of them to be less than 11V after charging them on shore power.  Took them both back to West Marine and made sure they took both back (because I wanted them to be the same age).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Duracell AGM's are made by East Penn Deka here in the USA.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had 5 East Penn Deka Series 31 AGMs in my EC 360. Fantastic batteries.! New TPPL AGMs are even better and not much more money.
  • McGarnicleMcGarnicle Member Posts: 242 ✭✭✭
    Is there any need to upgrade the battery charger, or will the factory one be sufficient?
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Is there any need to upgrade the battery charger, or will the factory one be sufficient?
    Depends how old the charger is.  I'd find a model number on the charger and locate the owners manual and verify if it can do AGM.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• trip_ntrip_n Member Posts: 747 ✭✭✭
    i contacted [email protected]
    =they replyed=
    The PD2020 will charge AGM, Flooded lead acid, and newer SLA Gel batteries.
    single output profile that will work.
    The output voltage profiles were improved on the newer PD2120 model.
    Dream_Inn said:
    Michael T said:
    So, @MichaelT - I just had my first issue with my TPPL batteries.  This past Friday night, it seemed like my house batteries weren't lasting very long.  So, yesterday I checked them out when I got back in the marina.  I checked each of them individually and found one of them to be less than 11V after charging them on shore power.  Took them both back to West Marine and made sure they took both back (because I wanted them to be the same age).
    Were you using an appropriate charger?  Using a "standard" battery charger will kill them. 
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the PD 2130 on our 2014 310 for the three batteries. Can this unit charge a Lead Acid and AGM at same time without detriment to either? Basically, is it possible to swap out from LA to AGM one at a time - as I can afford them in the budget? Or do I need to bite the bullet and pay the price to swap them all at once? 
    Yes, I have the appropriate charger and on the correct setting.

Dream_Inn said:
    Yes, I have the appropriate charger and on the correct setting.
    I figured you probably did, but it’s worth asking the question. 
    69, You did make me check the setting just for sure. :)