Options

Starboard Lenco trim tab will not go down.

AnyfiveAnyfive Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
Need help!

The starboard trim tab is not retracting.  It was working at put-in but at first time out only the port side was working.  The hydraulic oil level is fine.
I suspect the up or down relay.

2005  250 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod

I thought Lenco's had electric actuators, not hydraulic.

Mark

Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Mine are electric. I think the hydraulic fluid your talking about is for the trim cylinders...
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    mvnmvn Member, Moderator Posts: 744 mod
    Exactly.
    Good,  fast,  cheap.... pick two. 
    2019 MTX20 Extreme

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You probably have a siezed or cracked actuator.  You could put power to it direct and by-pass the switch, then you'll know forsure.  Look for cracks or separation on the housing, you might even see water/oil weeping from it when it should be dry.  Smart move is to replace both if one is bad.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    explore7425explore7425 Member Posts: 150 ✭✭✭
    Go to Lenco's website. They have a troubleshooting guide that will help you find out exactly what the problem is. Been there done that. Good news is boat does not have to come out of the water to fix anything on the system.
    Bella Sabrina II  370EC
  • Options
    AnyfiveAnyfive Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    Excuse the confusion of the hydraulics (used for the out-drive trim).  The problem with the electric trim tab was the relay.  Have one on order.

Thanks for all the help.

Anyfive
  • Options
    TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is that trim tab relay located? When recently try to trace a trim tab issue I found a black box approximately the size of a cig pack very much buried down in the helm underneath the steering mechanism and wiring harness. If that's it I dread the day it'll need service.
    2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The black box is for the 'smart tabs' that retract when the boat is off and have the lights to show you where they are up/down.  Otherwise all you are doing for up/down is reversing the current to the actuator..no relay.

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI