Options

Bilge mounting areas

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious what is in the mounting areas that the batteries, water/waste tank and other accessories are mounted to in the bilge. Is it hollow? Filled with foam? Reason I ask is that my cousin has a 2004 24 foot SR and one of his trim tabs tore off last year. He was thinking about drilling a hole in that area to inspect for water and see if he should drill a drain hole. What do you guys think??
2008 330EC

Comments

• Options
    Any ideas? I found this photo online and it has foam, not sure what make it is.

2008 330EC
  • Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I think there's better ways to test for moisture? If you want to proceed measure both the surface and the hull from the same point. If it's within a half inch or so it's likely not a cavity. If it's greater than 2" then drill a small hole to see if it's hollow. If it is drill a larger hole to stick a cheap Amazon endoscope in to look around.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    For most boats, I think equipment is mounted to a piece of marine plywood that is glassed in place on the inside of the structural fiberglass.  Is that what you're asking?  
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    LaRea said:
    For most boats, I think equipment is mounted to a piece of marine plywood that is glassed in place on the inside of the structural fiberglass.  Is that what you're asking?  
    @LaRea , wondering what is in the boxed out area that everything is mounted to. Is it hollow or filled with foam?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,554 mod
    Oh, you mean the shelf outboard of the stringer.  That would have to be an @Alswagg question.  
  • Options
    Alswagg said:
    Is this question about a Sea Ray?      
    Yes, sorry @Alswagg , for a Sea Ray but curious what is there in our Rinkers also.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thank you Al !!
    2008 330EC